Been a bit Busy here



Saturday Night

Last night the jam took longer to set as a result I think of the fruit being very ripe.  I had to add in some Lemon juice to bring it to set.  Although Lemon is not strictly a pectin in its own right it does draw the pectin out of the fruit.  I was seeing little globules of jelly forming but each time I tested on the saucer it just would not take.  In desperation I dragged the Thermometer out and it was right temperature just not taking.  So had to wait a little longer by which time I was hot and bothered. m I managed to get roughly 9-1/2 jars taking into account that three were larger than usual.  Eight jars in total and it has set nicely.  Now just to wash the jars over let them dry and then label them.  Am so grateful for these.

As a result of the lateness of finishing with the jam I was hot, bothered and tired so the jelly did not get sorted last night.  Tonight will be the night for that.

I have also sorted out the recipe for some Plum Chutney.  The recipe is from Rosie Jamieson of Love Jars.  Link is here:

Plum Chutney

That will be sorted during the day tomorrow.

Sunday

The kitchen fought back in shock of all the activity on Saturday evening and so I had to do a little work to bring things back together again.  Plus the fact there was a lot of laundry going on being as the weather has been lovely and hot again.  The humidity is affecting my stiffness again as usual, but par for the course.

Jelly has been started.  Preparation for Lemon Chutney has been started and the Lemons are soaking in a sprinkling of salt.  All the veggies and fruits have been chopped for the Plum Chutney.  A full case of Plums (the jammers) has now been used.  Tomorrow I also intend to not only finish off these preserves, but also prep up the Piccalilli, the Plums in syrup both the Victoria Plums and the Supermarket ones.  "Plumbrillo" will be made if there is enough from the 2kg of jelly I am putting through the jelly bag.  Remains to be seen.  Even if it is only a small amount it will be something to go with a cheese board during the Christmas activities.

So very much a late night was had, but an awful lot has been achieved.

I also have a load of Lemons left which need  using up and I am contemplating making some Lemon syrup with them.  I am fortunate in the sense that Lemons seem to be one of the regular reduced items at the Veg shop for £1 a bowl. I therefore have further plans for Lemons as and when I get hold of them.



So Monday looks as though it is going to be yet another busy day on the Preserving front as does Tuesday.

I am restricted on space in the kitchen as there is very little space to move around even when everything is nice and tidy.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x




Comments

Popular Posts