If you see Bananas reduced on the shelf

.......Buy them as you can do all sorts with them.  The other day I went to the Veg shop and they had Bananas reduced in a bowl for £1.  I bought 6 Bananas for that price.  Yes they were past their optimum, but not mushy or mouldy, just a little darker on the skins.  No need to waste at that price and so with this first batch I decided that I was going to make Banana Bread.  Not had this for a while.

There is a caveat to this post.  I love Bananas and have since I was a child where we regularly used to have Banana Sarnies.  However as I have matured, my system has been less tolerant of them shall we say.  Making this now is more of an experiment to see whether I can eat them again or whether it is forever going to be a "No-No" for me.

However, you can make lots of other goodies too and whilst Banana bread is a staple in many households you can mix things up a bit and also make lots of lovely other items too.  For example:

Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins.  These are talking to me at the moment and since I initially drafted this post, I have more Bananas to do something with. I have a thing about Muffins and am particularly partial to Blueberry.

Banana Pancakes nice to ring the changes as a breakfast or as a quick pudding.  Something I am more likely to do rather than G.

Banana Milkshake.  Both of us love these especially with ice cream added.

Banana and Chocolate Bread and Butter Pudding cooked in a Bain Marie so that the custard is set but lovely and soft.

Banana Splits - used to put in a regular appearance for tea in my youth piled high with ice cream, cream and fruits cocktail.

Bananas and Custard.  A Nursery favourite.  Me I am still in Kindergarten!

Banana and Custard trifle.  Nice to ring the changes.

Baked Bananas

Banana Fairy Cakes

Banana Fritters

Banana Mess (a different take on Eton Mess)

Bananas and ice cream with homemade Toffee Sauce (quite a simple and delicious quick pudding).  Equally nice just with thick whipped cream.

Banana TarteTatin.  I have a fondness for a Tarte Tatin at anytime.

Banoffee Pie.  Love this too.

There are lots of other ideas out there, and all of them equally tasty.

The Recipe:

For the Banana Bread itself you will need the following ingredients:

3 very ripe Bananas (8oz peeled weight)

3 Large eggs

3 1/2 oz Light Brown sugar

5 fl oz oil (ie Sunflower or vegetable)

9 3/4 oz SR Flour

1 tsp mixed spice

1 tsp baking powder

You will also need a 2lb weight loaf tin (or two smaller ones) which has been lined with greaseproof.  

The Grease Pot

I keep a grease pot going when I am baking which is a small bowl of fat such as margarine which is melted down in a Bain Marie (small saucepan) with water in the base but not so it can get in the small bowl I use). You then just warm through until melted when needed. Then I brush the greaseproof with said melted fat.  When not in use I keep in the bowl in the fridge.  It is quite useful to have something like this on the go especially if you do a lot of baking.  Makes life a little easier.

Method:

Put oven on to warm up Gas Mark 4

In a large bowl peel then mash your Bananas with a fork until nice and mushy.  To the same bowl add in the eggs, sugar and oil using a whisk to combine.

Add the flour, spice, and baking powder. Also whisk this into the Banana mixture until nice and smooth.

Pour into prepared tin (or tins).

Bake for approximately 40 minutes until the cake is well risen. Take out of oven and leave to stand for approximately 10 to 15 minutes then decant onto a cooling rack.

I must say that this Banana Bread is fast becoming a favourite in this household and it looks as though it will be putting in a regular appearance from now on in.




How to Use

Can be eaten as a snack with butter on, as the base of a pudding, or just on its own.  A good filler upper especially useful when you are on the run or indeed peckish.

This indeed used to be a staple in this household especially when the children were at home.

As I had six Bananas, I made a double batch of the Banana Bread.  If I can get more at the end of the week, I will also probably have a go at some Muffins or indeed a pudding or two.  Very good for you Bananas if you can tolerate them.  Will also be looking for Oranges as I also want to make an Orange cake as well.  Will see what I can find then.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. You gave me lots of new thoughts about old bananas, thanks, and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. Have lots of other ideas too, mostly Pantry based, but that may be a post for another day. It is also a way of getting to use well known ingredients in a different way. Happy New Year to you too Tricia x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts