A little shopping

A bitterly cold day where we have hugged the house for the best part.  Escaping to the shops without a Jack Russell is tantamount to murder and we normally try and do it when she is curled up in her quilt fast asleep. Today we managed to get out but not without her being upset about it.

Today has therefore been a shopping day.  Just to The Food Warehouse/Iceland as it is Tuesday over 60's discount day.  As G has been a member of the over 60's life club for some 8 years and I for 4 nearly 5 years, we decided to go and have a good look around to see what offers they had on today. If you are able to get to a local shop they do have good offers on bread products (3 loaves of Warburtons bread for £3 or 3 packs of Crumpets or the slimmer Crumpets also on the same offer.  We have an occasional loaf, but I am glad to say that at long last G is on board with keeping to the wholemeal bread that I make.  Presently I need to get more wholemeal bread flour though.  A trip to a different shop for that. I also bought white sugar, the offer on that is two bags for £2 (i.e. £1 a bag), so six bags came back with me, but really could do with a lot more as I need to get a stash together for future preserving projects as well.

We bought some freezer items home with us despite not having a freezer.  Bought a bag of thin chips for himself, he likes bought chips I am not keen. A bag of chicken wings for himself, a pack of filo prawns which I like, and two large prawn rings. 

I came away with 6 cans of Branston Beans (4 cans for £6), 12 cans of Heinz Tomato soup (buy two for £8), 8 cans of chopped tomatoes (they did not have the whole Plum tomatoes) at 4 cans for £3.  They are a good brand Napolina tomatoes. Also bought a big box of 32 packs of mixed flavour  Walkers Crisps for £7.50.  All of these are designated for the Pantry shelf, although some product will be used during the month.  At least have been able to start off the stock of canned goods for the revamped Pantry.  Also came away with two cans of sliced peaches and two cans of Pears for £1 a tin.  I traditionally have always kept a pretty well-stocked tinned Pantry but have not been able to do this for sometime.  Hopefully I can put this right with being careful this year.  It does throw me that I cannot do what I would normally do when it comes to storing food either by the freezer, fresh goods, preserving etc.  However, I will attempt to do whatever I can.  As I have mentioned before I intend to do much more than I managed to achieve last year on all counts. However basics first, we need the raw materials to hand to achieve that seasonally hence me wanting to start to build up reserves on sugar, vinegar, and also making other different and varying preserves. In reality when it comes to a freezer I do not have room for one at all which is a bit of a b..... for me, but in reality I do not think that is going to happen here due to lack of space.

We were out a good couple of hours this afternoon with the shopping.  There are still more items to purchase but that will happen another day.  It got too bitter out and has been cold.  I was very glad to get back into the house.  It has been the sort of day where you need to be cuddled up to a proper log fire.

Tonight for tea, we have had some Birds Eye battered cod fillets, baked beans and some of the bought chips.  It served a purpose and we had a hot meal which is what I was intent on doing.  Sorry no photos today.

Am going to be cutting out more paper inners for my patchwork Hexies again today.  I have cut so far about 104 of them.  Intend to work up to about 500 this week all being well concentrating on the first part of the preparation.  If I manage to get to the 500 I will probably then cut a card template for marking the Hexies onto the fabric and then cut them until I have a few prepared.  Then will come the tacking and then the actual stitching.  There is a lot of work but it will help me to get more done by streamlining each specific part in bulk as it were.  The idea is that I will then have quite a few to sew.  I do plan on spending time say an hour a day just to hand sew the panels together (more at the weekend if I can).  I will then have to source plain fabric cream I think, to cut the "background" Hexies for making the actual panels stand out.  It is going to take a long time, but I am trying to be very proactive with this particular item.  So will see how things go.  That is the plan after the first tranche of all the preparation work has been achieved.  Then will start cutting papers again etc. until I have enough to cover the bed.  Going to take quite a while.  There are also a host of other UFOs that need sorting and I will try and slot some of those inbetween as well to get them out of the way with dependent on what time I have to hand.

Hope those of you affected by snow are keeping warm and safe.  Even those without the snow, as the temperatures are going down quite a bit.  Try and keep snug and warm.  I have taken to wearing two to three thick jumpers during the day when it is really cold.  The heating is on when it needs to be on predominantly of an evening, but we are being frugal about it. Fortunately with having the prepaid meter, I can keep an eye on usage and I can adjust how and what we do as to what is left on.  I tend to plan things want to do at the beginning of the month and then add things in when I can bearing in mind that have to keep house warm, we need lights on in certain rooms, washing and drying has to be done etc.  Have had to buy a new hot water bottle today as the other one gave up the ghost but I have had it about 6 years or more so had had my money's worth out of it.

Right am off to cut paper.

Have a lovely evening.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x





















 

Comments

Popular Posts