More Shopping

Approximately twice a month we normally go on a small shopping trip to Iceland Big Food Warehouse and Home Bargains.  Sometimes it is just once a month depending on how things work out.  I also tend to buy my cleaning stuff from here and in particular my washing powder and conditioner as I have found out their prices are better overall for the quantities I am buying.  Also loo roll 32 packs for about £8.99.

Now that I am starting to get the Pantry stocked up better than I have had it for sometime, I am now concentrating on stocking up those tinned items that I do not have much of or nothing at all.  There are quite a lot of items to add yet.  As I have mentioned before I am going to make sure that I have a good selection of ingredients available for cooking with for Christmas this year.  A well filled Pantry can keep you going through all sorts.  It also gives you more choice on what you actually have to eat.

This is not a comprehensive list of what was bought, just some of the items which will keep us going and add to the Pantry as well.  For instance I did not buy beans, soup or tomatoes as I have plenty on the shelf at the moment.  Another month however I will concentrate on those items.  I suppose what I am trying to say is that you do not need to buy everything at once, a few here and there and things soon build up.

There are also many offers on at both shops.  At the Iceland Big Food Warehouse we are over 60 and have an app which gives you on a Tuesday 10% further discount.  You must take some photo identity with you though as they will not give the discount without.  This helps a lot.

I shall also next time I go buy some bags of frozen peppers and also frozen sweetcorn in order to make some sweetcorn relish.  I like this with a homemade Beef burger.  Their prices seem very good on frozen veggies.

Meat shopping, and veg and fruit shopping are different shopping trips as are specific items needed after having run out of supplies in the Pantry.


Iceland Big Food Warehouse shop

Have come away with some tinned pineapple in rings and pieces 4 tins in total.  I shall add the same again next month. I use a lot of pineapple in cooking and I also want to make some sweet and sour sauces for the Pantry shelf as well.  I would therefore like a nice little stock of goods before I set too and make those.  A little pre-planning as it were.

Two tins of mushy peas - had used two tins since last purchase.

A box of Broken Biscuits

A box of Chocolate Biscuit/Bars

A tray of chicken breasts 

A big pack of Coca Cola 8 x 2 litre bottles

2 x Philadelphia Cheese for my homemade cheesecake which will be utilising saved broken biscuits turned into biscuit crumb.  

4 bags of sugar - am keen to squirrel quite a bit of sugar away in readiness for use each month and through the year.

2 packs of Crumpets

1 pack of fruited Tea Cakes

Brown Bread seeded batch - I love this for toast with homemade jam yummy

3 Bags of Doritos

My Starbucks coffee drink x 6 (collecting the bottles).  They did not have the Caramel one today which is what I normally buy, so I bought three of two other options had not tried before.

Doritos mild salsa mix was on offer but did not have any mild only the extra hot so will look for that another day.

Actimel x 2 packs one Strawberry one mixed fruit. I have this first thing of a morning before having anything to eat.  It helps settle my stomach and also helps me generally with the auto immune conditions.

2 Big Bottles of Semi-Skimmed Milk

Cathedral City Potato Dauphinoise

Cathedral City Cauliflower Cheese

pack of mini chocolate bars

Big bottle of Ketchup

Big bottle of Sweet and Sour Sauce

Cheese

Mushrooms

2 Tins of Peach slices

2 Tubs Bisto Gravy powder offer on of 2 for £3. I bought Chicken and Beef to try them out to see if I like them.  It is not the Bisto Granules which I normally use.

Box of Cornflour


I would mention that I also use tinned fruit such as Pineapple or Peaches in cooked dishes such as Hawaiian Chicken or Sweet and Sour sauce.  Makes a lovely meal.  They are not just used for puddings but other baked goods as well and sometimes I have with my Granola for breakfast.

Just to mention that we bought a big box of Walkers crisps mixed flavours 3 months ago.  I still have half a box left.  They are there if needed and I do not think we paid over £5 for them.  Sometimes just having the option of having something like this makes all the difference, especially when  you have not had any in a while.  Not something that would buy every month unless you of course have a family with children that need pack-ups for lunch.

Next time we go to Iceland I will have a look at their Nut selection. I also need Dried Apricots, Dried Cranberries, Cashews, Almonds and Walnuts.

Home Bargains shop

4 sachets of Angel Delight, two Strawberry and two Banana

Two tins of Cadburys Coconut Milk

1 small tin of Pink Salmon

4 packs of Country Life Butter

2 milk shakes

Pink stuff stain remover powder 1kg

Pack of five dishcloths.  I use cotton cloths and boil them up and use them until they start to get tatty and then they are used on the floor and then they get replaced.

Bottle of bleach (do not use much but every so often a little is needed).

Pack of four bread buns

Bottle of Shampoo

Double pack of Jacobs Cream Crackers

There was also some freezer bits and bobs which will be eaten in the next few days from the fridge for meals.  We have a curry each (I am going to have a go at making some Naan bread) and also fish strips, cauliflower cheese, potato Dauphinoise and mushy peas.

Next time I go I am going to have a look at what baking supplies they have as there are a few things that I need to stock up on.  I need flaked Almonds, whole Almonds, Ground Almonds and some flavourings.  I noticed that they had a few more items (including some mini marshmallows) as well so will have a better look when we go again.

I had a general look at the prices here on tinned items and other items that they stock.  Also very reasonable.  They had Butter Beans and Chick peas in for about 54p a tin. Pink Salmon small tin was £1.99 and Red Salmon about £2.99 (if I remember correctly).  I like Salmon G doesn't.  I also like Pilchards and Mackerel in tomato sauce on toast.  Will look further again next time we go but very reasonable overall especially on cleaning stuff.  G is always in too much of a hurry when we go in there and I am not always given the time to have a good look around.  The Coconut milk was Cadburys brand and was 74p a tin.  

All in all therefore, not a bad little trip out to top up today at all.  I am trying to keep a firm hand on the Pantry contents, using but also building up and being sensible in the process as well.

This along with fresh veggies, eggs, cheese, cream etc. should keep us going nicely.  Trying to do the best with what we have available to us as well as stock the Pantry.

If I had the Freezers like I used to have, I would be buying more meat in and freezing it, together with other items as soon as I got home. In the past we have bought Pig bellies in and turned them into rolled stuffed joints with me making the stuffing, cutting and rolling them.  Makes a lovely Sunday roast.  Equally have also made our own bacon in the past as well. Also Gravadlax.  If have ended up with too much for the fridge, we have frozen any balance to bring it out at a later date.  This has worked well. I would also buy in fresh veg and freezing it myself in portioned quantities, as well as freezing roast meals i.e., any leftover meat sliced in gravy for serving up with veggies for meals during the week.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. I really appreciate the 10% discount on Tuesday in Iceland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do too. Think we saved about £30 yesterday with what was purchased. It all helps and am gratefulxx

      Delete
  2. Our local Iceland in our village, always gives us the discount without asking for the card, we must just look old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppypatchwork, we found out the hard way. Spent a lot of money the month before which the operative said could not give us discount on without photo ID. We were quite miffed. I think it is different rules different areas - different Managers and we have been going in regularly. So we went armed with some relevant ID just in case. It was a similar amount missed out on before. It may also be due to the fact we live in a City and there are far more people in and out whereas in smaller communities people tend to know each other better.

      Delete
    2. I show my bonus card and my OAP bus pass

      Delete
    3. He gave her his phone with the app on it, but does not have a bus pass. Showed his passport. His driving licence is still the old paper one so that did not help either.x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts