Building on Breakfast - Getting into Good Habits

Sometimes it is difficult to vary things up a little bit especially on the breakfast front. G nine times out of ten always has the option of a cooked full breakfast as I tend to keep these ingredients in.  The ingredients are not just kept for breakfasts though.  In reality though, breakfast is the one meal you should eat everyday or at least have some protein in the form of yogurt or milk to help level the blood sugar out of a morning. As a result I always try to have breakfast as this is the time of day when my system is at its lowest ebb which leaves me open and vulnerable to an epileptic attack.  I am not the only one affected by this as it has also been proved that a lot of accidents occur in a morning, usually around the corner from where someone lives and this is attributed to low blood sugar due to skipping breakfast.  That is why it is called "Break-Fast".  Therefore better safe than sorry.

Some of the breakfasts I eat in the Spring are as follows:

  • A couple of Croissants with a little butter, cream cheese and some lovely homemade jam. I am using the Blackberry jam I made last year at the moment and it suits it perfectly. Raspberry is also fantastic for this as is homemade Apricot; sliced tinned peaches drained also make a nice accompaniment. Strawberries and mixed fruits are also good to have too.
  • A couple of Pain au Chocolat  with chocolate spread served with a mug of hot coffee;
  • Multi seeded toast and honey; two to three slices at least;
  • Fresh fruit salad (made at home) with some homemade natural live yogurt; and a ham sandwich with a little mustard spread on it;
  • French Baguette served with a selection of Charcuterie meats or ham;
  • Melon chunks and Grapefruit Chunks with a squirt of lime juice in a very light sugar syrup with little chunks of preserved ginger; make a bowl full the night before and leave it to chill in the fridge overnight; this is really refreshing.
  • Melon slices or hefty wedges served with sugar and/or powdered ginger
  • Fresh Orange juice pick me  up drink; served with mushroom and bacon sarnie;
  • Overnight oats with mixed fruits and some yogurt;
  • Granola, for the best part homemade,
  • Fresh Grapefruit or Orange cut in half, sprinkled with a little sugar, followed by some toast with a hot mug of tea;
  • Slices of lightly toasted multi seeded bread, spread with cream cheese and walnuts or sliced almonds and runny hunny; or indeed Pecans;
  • There are also smoothies to be had or indeed home pressed juices both vegetable and fruit.

All simple things and some of the items can also be used for midday lunch, snacks or puddings. Mix them up, change things around a bit.  Breakfast does not have to be a heavy production but it is better to have something and when you are working it is better to have things prepped up and in the fridge (where necessary) in readiness for the day to come. I prefer a simpler breakfast, but I do like my porridge during the winter months. Also because of medication I tend to have an Actimel yogurt shot first thing before I have anything to eat.  A normal live yogurt will do as well, but it must be a live yogurt.

How do you vary your breakfasts up during the Spring/Summer months.  Would love to hear your take on things.

Catch you soon.

Have a lovely evening especially with this warmer weather we are experiencing at the present.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I have the same thing nearly every day. A slice of toast with peanut butter or cheese. I'm not very interesting! Your choices look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you enjoy it that is the main thing. I tend to be a bit predictable for the best part of the year, but in the Spring when the new crops are starting to appear I tend to lighten things up a bit to what I would normally have. I am getting particularly fond of the cream cheese! I do try and vary it up a little bit thoughxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts