Even more reason to Keep a Pantry and Plan ahead
I came across this You Tube video simply by chance and found it quite informative. Explains some of the background reasons why there are problems in the food chain and why some of the prices will not come down very quickly at all. After reading this article I think it highlights the fact what a blooming mess the food chain really is in this country.
Think this excessively hot weather will not impact the food chain - then think again. Under normal circumstances I always understood that the Farmers were always hopeful for a dry summer for harvest and would mean that they would not have to pay out to have the grain dried. Wet weather would mean that the crop would have to be dried if a wet harvest was experienced. I had not appreciated that too hot weather causes the grain to grow quickly and loose volume and protein which also in turn means earlier harvesting times than usual. It therefore looks as though prices are going to go up across the range and especially the basics and we have yet a fourth period of extremely hot weather to come.
https://youtu.be/evBITpfKAY0?si=sgo8VWI7keaUT4Tf
Just thought that it would highlight some of the problems that we do not readily see as it does explain what is actually going on and the potential impact.
I found it informative. I hope you do too.
Catch you soon.
Pattypan
x
I've been buying extra flour, sugar, tins etc each week. I'm growing tomatoes, cucumbers, garlic and runner beans. Should be growing more but I manage what I can.
ReplyDeleteHi BB I have been too. Earlier in the year about April I think I sent to the Mill (well two different ones) who had offers on at the same time. I sent for Canadian white bread flour, Plain flour and SR flour in the large 16kg and 25kg sacks. I think I paid £16 for the Plain and SR Flour which was on offer, which I think it is again at the moment. I have since gone on to buy larger bags of sugar (mostly for preserving) but also household use, Rice, Porridge Oats and various other items buying in a few at a time where I can. I am storing in white food safe buckets in both the main Pantry and the what is going to be the Pantry under the stairs as well. The buckets are for the base ingredients but smaller quantities of other items are stored in packets or indeed glass jar storage. I have been slowly stocking up the Pantry during the year. I do keep long-life milk in house in any event for use in the leaner part of the month in both tea and coffee as well as it making an excellent base for homemade yogurt. Everything that is bought has to pay its way as it were and I only buy the ingredients that we use. Unfortunately with me having the Shingles (which I am still dealing with residual issues from) completely finished off my garden aspirations for this year combined with the fact that we were meant to be going to the caravan which I am still hopeful to do. Still depends on G's eye op which he has not had as he had an eye infection. That is still pending. Fingers crossed that we get there eventually. You are doing really well. in the greater scheme of things. I have found some months I am able to prioritise on the food stocking and other times the money has to go elsewhere which kind of puts the "wood between the trees", but we adapt and do what we can elsewhere or at least I do. I think for me this is just the country way of dealing with things. When you have no near shops and the weather is unpredictable, you do what you can to keep a good Pantry out of everyday need due to the easy lack of accessibility to the shops. Its what my Nan and Mum used to do to safeguard household continuity. It is the older way of dealing with things that still works very successfully today. Those that remember use it but those who do not have the knowledge often do not realise that the little at a time philosophy builds up stocks gradually without impacting the pocket too much. Having a working Everyday Pantry "keeps the Wolves from the Doors"! If you have a Lidl near you, they are very good prices for tinned fruit, evaporated milk etc. The products are also excellent. It is where I have been going recently for tinned goods and where I will be going shortly again. Take care sweetheart you are doing what you can in any one day and sometimes the days are better than others. Hugs Tricia x
DeleteRice and pasta too . . .
ReplyDeleteI've often wished that there was some sort of reputable organisation that would keep track of events both at home and elsewhere that will (not possibly) have an impact on grocery availability and pricing. Hope that makes sense :) Some things you just know will affect our grocery bill/shop but many things either aren't realised at all or at too late a date :(
ReplyDeleteHi Kelly, totally agree. There used to be many years ago if I remember correctly. Sadly, not everyone is aware of the impact certain situations can cause in their daily lives. They hear what is being said but do not realise how it will affect things for them and their families. I used to get a lot of information as to how crops were doing locally etc. from the Veg shop owners that used to be at the end of our street. Sadly that shop has long since gone but I suspect that things are dire because of lack of water and people not being able to afford crops because of the expense of fertiliser etc. So less choice for the consumer. Expectations are also extremely high by Jo Public but not always the practical skills to accompany things and work through a situation or reduce the impact for themselves. A lot of practical knowledge that was common place has been lost. We used to be taught Home Economics at school with having a three hour session of practical cooking skills and a one hour planning lesson a week. There used to be lots of practical resources for non-academic pupils as well none of which are provided today. I was lucky in that I came from a family who grew and cooked and although not cash rich we always ate simply but well through hard work and effort and that hard work and effort was shared within the family but also with neighbours and friends. I do not know about you but when the BBC Good Food Programme was on the TV, that was really good resource and encouraged people to have a go at cooking food at home and passing on information and ideas. Although that programme has long since been gone you do have the BBC Good Food website and the magazine. Magazines are so expensive these days to what they were. Perhaps we need a Proper Food Ministry again like they had in the War Years with fines for wasting food. Bit Draconian I know but resources need to be used effectively and properly because of the prices having to be paid. It is very sadly and annoyingly a continuous circuit. Take care Tricia x
Delete