Some things would like to do for the "ber" months Autumn/Fall and Christmas

Now that the Autumn Equinox has happened, there are a few things that I would like to try and do.
  • Celebrate this autumn and the bounty of the crops that flow no matter how large or small. I have grapes to harvest in the garden and I cannot think of a more fitting day to harvest them;
  • Make some Beeswax candles to light the way to the darker months.  Had all this planned (had bought a kit), unfortunately no wicks were included and therefore have to order these in; candle making put on hold until they arrive.
  • Decorating to celebrate the season, collecting a few decorative items, and making a few things a little at a time, year by year - layering as I go;
  • Go on foraging trips and appreciate the beauty of the season and natures offerings as well as having a proper good walk in fresh air which gives the soul food to feed on;
  • Collecting twigs, leaves, nuts berries for preserving in some cases and crafting in others; some for this year some for next; gathering of cones of different sizes; preserving leaves in wax or glycerine;
  • Get back to regular Sunday dinners.  In the Summer especially we tend to go for lighter meals with the odd roast added in.  Now though back to the comfort food, darker nights, and room for sorting things out moving forward. Evenings are darker now, we are loosing the light moving forward but then we will return.  Roast potatoes, Roasted Beetroot, Celeriac and Parsnip, Roast Pumpkin and Sweet Potato
  • Regular puddings make a return - especially Rice Pudding, Apple Pie, Eve's Pudding, Crumbles of every description;
  • Back to hot breakfasts like warmed milk over cereal, toasty hot Porridge, Toast and jam; warmed Croissants with butter and cream cheese and a homemade jam; Pancakes with fruit and or jam or warmed spiced mixed fruits and yogurt
  • Back to regular baking of staples such as scones, treacle tart. plum bread, pastries;
  • Getting to grips with bread making;
  • More soup being made; really for me, but I want to make a good stock of heat preserved soup for storing on the kitchen shelf
  • Tiz preserving season, which in effect takes priority over a lot of things, so things will be going on in the kitchen.
  • Light the Candles; light the Aga and the Fires if you have them;
  • Making autumnal decorations to bring the season into the house;
  • Clay ornaments
  • Paper Ornaments
  • Loads of crafting
I do intend to get out and about, into the wild areas to do some wild foraging on the food front and on the grasses, seeds, leaves collection and making something with.  Be in the moment for a change without my head constantly being in the clouds, and allow myself to breathe and just simply be.

In reality though as other things are going on in-house time is precious and a lot of the items are achievable but cooking and preserving are constants although I am planning on playing a lot more than I have allowed myself to in the past.

I intend to enjoy Autumn I hope you do too.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Living in the moment is a good thing. Enjoy each little pleasure as it happens. I am about to put top and bottom on a square esign quilt I got at auction. It will be for my grand-daughter Rosie's first proper bed. Also making patchwork curtains for the bathroom, window and glazed door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennie, I am not too good at it, and am trying to do it more and more. I remember many things that we used to do as a family. This time of year, this weekend in effect, always the last weekend of September we used to arrive at my Grandparents' home for the Apple picking. It always used to be a family weekend and other members of the family used to arrive and on the Sunday, the last day of the picking Nan used to do a full roast meal for however many bodies turned up. It used to be a bit cramped at times but something I look back on fondly now although I do miss the apple picking itself. It is only when you loose something and do not have it anymore that you really miss it and value it. Sadly home had to be sold to settle the Will. It was rather odd not having apples from thereon in i,.e. to celebrate the season and the family gatherings and the seasonal pickings. I am so pleased that you are getting so much joy out of Rosie and also in the making of things for her. Proper family heirlooms and so much love put into them. I am also pleased that you are not forgetting yourself too. It will be well cosy and snug by the time you are finished. Hugs Tricia xx

      Delete
  2. Autumn is a lovely time of year for getting out into nature and settling down at home to enjoy crafting too. I hardly poked my nose outside during our hot summer and it was too hot to settle down to do anything creative. My brain ceases to work above a certain temperature! I am enjoying these bright, warm days.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts