All things Grape and Our Grape Harvest October 2026

On Friday I had a very good grape harvest this year.  The best ever harvest.  Although some of the fruits have not gone on to make grapes and are a bit patchy but ideal for making some Grape jelly which will be a useful preserve for the Pantry shelf. 

I perhaps should have harvested the grapes a little sooner, but when I tasted them the other week they were still a bit sour and I therefore opted to wait a little longer.

The plant this year has gone berserk just look at these photos below and also the grapes harvested.  

Now that I have harvested the grapes, the vine is about to be tidied up and trained in for next year.  The vine really has taken off this Summer and the plant is now twice the size in length that it was.  
















In any event the Grape jelly has been started off this evening as it needs dealing with rapidly.  Although the bunches of grapes are small, their flavour is quite sweet and the fruits are bluey-coloured.  Unfortunately I do not know which variety they are.


I have not weighed the crop, but I have three colanders full of grapes.  Just need to split them off and remove any naff ones, add to a pan and cover to the level of the grapes with water.  Mash the grapes down with a potato masher to release the juices and then boil until the grapes have split.  I will be leaving these to soak overnight in readiness for making the jelly tomorrow as I need to get some Jam Sugar as grapes are low in pectin.  The grapes and residue will then be poured into a jelly net and left to drip - usually overnight. Jelly is essentially a two day process in any event. You then boil up the mixture and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes.  Let it cool and then pass through a jelly bag.






I also intend to use some of the de-leafed vines for making some wreath bases.  The colours in some of the leaves are also fantastic; rich burgundies, greens and yellows.  I am looking into ways that I might possibly be able to use some of these leaves.  Would be a shame not to have a look.

I have also cleared a big bunch of Black Peppermint down for drying as well.  I use this to make a very soothing mint tea for a nighttime drink before going to bed for me.  Flavour is usually better than the bought stuff.



It has therefore been a very full and busy day, very satisfying though to get something started for the Pantry shelf.  I am looking into whether I can do anything with the grape leaves, especially the brightly coloured ones.

Let us just say today Saturday is a very different kettle of fish!  I went to the GP practice to get the two injections i.e. the RSV and the Pneumonia and Meningitis jabs.  Today they also offered to give me the second part of my Shingles jab which I knew was coming up.  Three injections today therefore.  I am beginning to feel like a pin-cushion.

And it is getting colder.  Yes it should for this time of year, but for the past couple of nights I have had a hot water bottle for my tootsies as well as a fleece blanket and a thick patchwork quilt on.  Have been lovely and toasty as a result.

I have just been out to feed the cats, and it is absolutely bitter made worse by the wind. We are still not ready to put the heating on.  The house is warm without being warm but no need for extra heating.  It is there if we want it on, but if there is no need for it and we are warm enough, it stays off until necessary.  The boiler is set to come on automatically if the temperature drops drastically.  Supposed to be down to 8 degrees tonight, which is still warmer than a minus figure.

I also have a habit of making sure one room is particularly warm and then as we go through the house not having too many lights on just the necessary ones and they are then switched on and off when needed.  Just to ensure we stretch a bit more out of the heating budget and the electrical budget.  I know that I am not the only one that does this.  A necessary evil these days although I do wish that I had a proper fire and a couple of oil lamps.

Keep warm and safe.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proper tinned Sterilised Cream - where did it go - Can you still get it - Updated

2025 Another Year Passes

Parsnip, Apple and Ginger Chutney