3 1/2 oz white mustard seeds
3oz soft light brown sugar
1 teaspoon of rock salt
1 teaspoon of white peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric
9 fl oz white wine vinegar
6 Tablespoons chopped fresh herbs to include Rosemary, Sage, Parsley and Chives
- Put all the dry ingredients into a food processer or blender and blend until the seeds are finely ground.
- Gradually pour in the vinegar and blend until well mixed. Add the herbes and then mix briefly.
- Leave the mustard to stand for about an hour to thicken then transfer to warm sterilised jars which have been dried. Cover the surface of each with a disc of waxed paper, waxed side down or if you wish to use a paraffin wax seal this can be added at this point; then leave until cold.
- Top the cold jars with new airtight lids (I don't use cellophane covers these days as I have found from personal experience that the preserve dries out quicker when stored like this).
- Label and store in a cool dark place - it will keep for approximately 3 to 6 months.
If making as a herb specific herb i.e. one variety only then reduce to 3 tablespoons per herb i.e. chive