APPLE AND GINGER CRUMBLE

Don’t know what it is but come the cold weather I start cooking proper puddings in an effort to keep the cold and winter blues away.

Anyway I was messing about I love crumbles, but had some cheap eating apples that I had bought reduced from my local veg shop for 50p a bag and so I thought I would play slightly. I fancied an apple crumble, but just wanted to try something different. So I went rootling through the cupboard and found some crystallized stem ginger that I had forgotten I had. I absolutely adore ginger anyway.

Ingredients:

Fat for greasing dish

1 ½ lb apples eaters or cookers
4 oz sugar if cookers but 2 to 3 oz if eaters
grated rind of a lemon
5oz plain flour
3 oz butter or margarine
3oz caster sugar
1 to 2 oz crystallized ginger or ginger in syrup drained and chopped

Grease a 1 litre pint pie dish. Set oven to 180 degrees C/350 degrees F or Gas mark 4

Peel and core the apples. Place in a saucepan adding the sugar and lemon rind. Add about 2 fl oz water. Cover the pan and simmer until the apples are soft but not disintegrating. Spoon the mixture into the greased dish and set to one side. Add stem ginger or crystalised ginger making sure that it is well distributed within the apple mix.

Put flour in a mixing bowl and rub in the butter or margarine until it resembles fine bread crumbs. Add caster sugar and stir well. Sprinkle over apple mixture and press down lightly. Bake in oven until golden brown about 30 to 40 minutes.


Serves approximately 6

Serve with lashings of home made custard made with vanilla sugar

Pure comfort food absolutely scrummy

Comments

Popular Posts