Herring Roe on Toast

Ever get a fancy for something to eat that you haven't had in a long time. I am like that at the moment. I quite fancy a plate full of Herring Roe on toast.

As a child one of the dishes that used to be served up on a regular basis for Saturday night tea was Fried herrings roe on toast. Argh you say but it looks wet slippery and awful. Well as the saying goes never judge a book by its cover. They taste absolutely delicious and are very simple to cook.

No doubt there is a season for Herring Roe - one can never tell these days. If I remember rightly as a child I think it used to be the winter months when we ate this tasty meal for tea, but I may be wrong.

The last time I had them was last year - I acquired two tubs at a knock down price from the fish counter at Waitrose. I have been looking for them since, whether it has just been me in there at the wrong time. I will just have to keep on looking.

Anyway they are very simple to prepare:

Quantity of Herring Roe
Flour
Salt and Pepper
Oil and a knob of butter

Wash the roe in a colander under clean running water. Leave to drain. Make sure no cats are about. They are rather partial to helping themselves or at least mine are so when I am cooking I tend to send them out.

In a frying pan put the oil and the butter and heat gently until butter has melted.

In a separate dish or bowl put flour and then season with salt and pepper. Mix together and then dip the Roe in the flour to coat. Add to the frying pan and cook until golden brown on one side then turn over and do the other side - should be a gentle even heat as otherwise the Roe will burn.

Under a grill toast slices of bread until golden brown.

Add the Roe on top of the toast sprinkle with a dash of vinegar and then serve. I think this is delicious and it is not an expensive supper to prepare.

Comments

Popular Posts