Crotchet

There has been a long tradition on both side's of my family for handicrafts, dressmaking, crafts etc. In fact one Great Great Aunt (My mum's Great Aunt Sue) was a Tayloress by profession and my Great Aunt Ivy on my Dad's side of the family always was doing something, but she made the most beautiful crotchet mats; one set which she made for my Nan was a set of graduated mats with pansies crotcheted on to them. I have these mats somewhere as I inherited them from my Nan as I had always admired them. This was one of the reasons why I wanted to learn to crotchet in the first place.



As a result since I was a youngster I been able to crotchet in a fashion, (never quite like Aunt Ivy) although I encompassed an odd way of doing it to start with - more like finger knitting. However when I went to college every Wednesday afternoon was a recreational afternoon with a three hour period of either crafts, sport or cooking. I chose to do crafts and the teacher who saw me and my efforts promptly took me in hand as I wasn't doing it right and she made me practice until I got to grips with it. I wasn't holding my tension finger correctly.



Years on, I am still only have basic techniques at crotchet which sometimes go awry, but in our area there has been a new part work release called the Art of Crotchet. I had a look at this, thought about it hard, and then decided that yes I would just get this one (despite the fact that I was intent on not really buying anything this year - but this will in fact help me use some of the materials I already have upstairs up, and thus create more room). I am one of those people who learn new techniques by watching, and reading, rather than just reading it from a book and going terribly wrong.

I have been impressed by what is encompassed. This part work provides a basic DVD with working everything from the slip stitch to the foundation row. I think it is a very good way of learning how to crotchet. It also comes with wool and crotchet hook for 99pence for the first part £2.99 every week after that, which is not too expensive. The idea is to work various sample squares in different stitches and then make up a sampler quilt at the end. The throw is very colourful and I was immediately attracted to it as it is so cheerful.



They yarns are according to the information section are made by Debbie Bliss. It also provides clothing patterns under Designer Style, items for the home in Around the house, Bits and pieces encompassing items likes scarves, Crotchet Techniques, a Stitch Library and Question and Answer section. You can also visit them online at www.theartofcrotchet.com.


When I got it home I sat and played with the first sample square with the practice thread that they also provide you with and to my delight I have been able to achieve this just with the use of the basic stitches and I have learnt a new pattern. (don't know what it is called but it is a new pattern) This for me is why I am going to continue with this is to progress my crotchet skills, learn new patterns and be able to make further nice things for my home.

This little sample is a thick textured stitch which looks very attractive. Now I can do this will work the proper sample square which is in a lovely rich redcurrant colour. In part 2 of this partwork techniques include joining yarn, half treble crotchet, an evening shrug, striped rag rug (this looks very interesting) a rustic shopping bag, plus a ball of rose coloured wool for the next square. Part 2 also comes with a binder and dividers.

So if you would like to learn to crotchet or like me you can do the basics but want to go on and do different things, this is a very good detailed guide in order for you to progress your skills evcen further. If I can surprise myself so can you.

Comments

Popular Posts