Its been a busy day here

I started the monthly shop today and we paid another visit to the butchers and topped up quite a bit; as a consequence of which I have had to give the upright freezer a bit of a sort out to get the new stuff in; it has meant me turfing out a few items which are going to be used in the next few days or so as it was time they were used up.

Just some of the things I have packed away  complete with a label, content and the date bought (very important) are:

5 trays of flavoured chicken thighs in trays of four three chinese style and two barbecue style (all for £10.00)
6 gammon steaks
2 trays minted lamb double chops
4 rib eye steaks 
3 gammon slipper joints
2 beef joints
2kg pack bacon divided into 6 bags of about 12 rashers
1kg tray of sausages (dvided into 8 bags)
Large tray of chicken breasts £20 (seventeen extra large breasts in tray packed into 6 bags x 3)
Tray of mixed burgers 12 on tray for £10
2 trays of stewing meat 

So we haven't done too badly but this will have to last us for quite a little while.

I have also been and got some veg; high prices again  (£1.40 for a caulifower - same in the Coop)but will make the most of what have found.  Apparently the weather has caused all sorts of problems with crops potatoes in particular as quite a lot of farmers have experienced blight and those who planted the crops later on have found that the potatoes are all top and no bottom; so I think some stockpiling of one sort or another might be required ie freezing mashed potatoe, or roasties etc. to make sure that a few good meals are to be had in any event.  I am having that veg garden next year no matter where I am.  I was quite restrained at the veg shop but I did buy a carrier bag of swedes about 12 small ones (£2) and 2kgs of carrots £1 a kg to process into carrot and swede crush which will then be frozen in the big deep freeze in pots.  It is a favourite with a hot meal in this house.  Is also a good way of getting children to eat swede (the colour leads them to believe it is carrot)  I have also picked up some apples for making more apple sauce yet again for the freezer.  I am sat processing these at the moment; the idea being to put these on in my large three tier steamer bought from Bude down in Cornwall which is massive and ideal for a very large family but when you a processing a glut of vegetables is extremely handy.

Yesterday I also picked up some small cucumbers from my local Asian shop which I am going to use in a recipe described as pickled gherkins but I think this is a slightly loose term as they are not like the gherkins in picked up from the Polish shop the other year but more like mini cucumbers which are processed lengthwise.  The recipe and pictures are from The Preserving Book by Dorling Kindersley , (these have now been started and being brined will finish tomorrow evening).We are having roast beef for dinner with the usual trimmings but that will be later on.

We went for a walk with Missy earlier and I picked a large bag of elderflowers (despite OH chuntering he does not see the need for me to make use of the natural larder!) so the elderflower champagne will be started later on.  I don't use any of the green stalk when I process elderflowers for making brews I remove the flowers with the tynes of a fork so that it is the pure blossom and natural yeasts that are used to give the champagne its kick.  This is one of my favourite countryside drinks; it is something my Nan used to make and I was hooked after the first glass.  I am also hoping to get at least a gallon of wine out of the flowers but I suspect I will need to go and get a couple of more bags during the week.  One thing we did notice is that there is a lot of blackberry blossom already so it may well be a good harvest dependent upon the weather.  I am in my element when I am making things for the pantry/larder/deep freezer for use later on in the year to make sure that we eat and drink well all year round.  I have to have another rootle through the large deep freeze to see what I can liberate from there. 

I also intend to get some of the flat peaches during the week to make some peach jam and also bottled peaches in syrup, but will have to see how things go as I want to get everything sorted.  They had them for trays of 12 for £1 a tray on the market last week so will probably potter down and then get a batch done.

Whilst I am working away I have Pirate radio on my coputer and am quietly working away and listening at the same time.

Oh by the way just a thought  here are the links to the recipes I have used for Elderflowers in the past - hope it makes life a bit easier

 http://tarragonnthyme.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/elderflower-jelly.html

http://tarragonnthyme.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/lemon-and-elderflower-syllabub.html
http://tarragonnthyme.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/elderflower-and-gooseberry-jam.html
http://tarragonnthyme.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/elderflower-cordial.htm
http://tarragonnthyme.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/elderflower-champagne.html

 http://tarragonnthyme.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/elderflower-curd.html
 http://tarragonnthyme.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/sorbets-made-with-syrups-or-cordials.html
Right have to get on still an awful lot to do and I am not sure where this weekend has gone

Catch you soon

Pattypan

xx


Comments

  1. Hi PP/Tricia! Popped by to see what you are up to. Love reading about all your food happenings. What issues are you experiencing with your weathers? We actually have had unseasonally hot weather very early causing a drought and crops to come in early or not at all. Will be interesting to see what the season brings as it's hard to imagine it could get any hotter!

    I see some nice updates on your blog (page elements)! It looks lovely. I see an email subscription option too! Hoping that is for your posts. Would love to have you 'delivered' via email so I don't miss a thing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts