Onion Bhajias

 I am rather partial to onion bhajias and have quite frequently in the past bought them from the Co-op for £1.40 a tray of 6.  That is until I found this recipe.

Ingredients:


6 level tablespoons of chick pea flour
1 level teaspoon of turmeric, ground cumin and garam masala
3-4 tablespoons of water
Salt and ground black pepper
1 medium large onion peeled

Deep fat fryer

Method:

Combine the flour and spices  in a bowl and add enough water to make a stiff batter.  Season cut onion into 4 wedges and then into narrow strips and stir into the batter.

Heat the oil in the fryer to 190 degrees C.  Add a dessertspoonful of the mixture into the pan when it rises to the surface add the next spoonful continue until the pan is full and cook each bhajias for about 6 to 8 minutes turning them over halfway through.  Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Cook any remaining mixture in the same way.  Can be served immediately or reheated in a hot oven for a few minutes.

These can be frozen.   Pack the cooled bhajias in a plastic container and freeze for up to one month.  Defrost then heat in a hot oven before serving. How about freezing some down for Christmas to save a little time and a few pennies.

Comments

  1. Your Bhajias sound wonderful! Where does a person find chick pea flour? I'm sure you will say in an Indian Market, but I live in an area where there is no such thing! Would it be posible to grind dried chick peas and would that be considered flour? I love your list of anniversaries. Have a wonderful Sunday...Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barb

    Chickpea flour is also known as gram flour. I haven't tried it but you can apparently make your own flour at home. I attach a link that I have Googled for you on how to do this. I hope it helps and let me know how you get on.

    Here is the link
    http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/tipsandtechniques/ht/How-To-Make-Chickpea-Gram-Flour.htm

    Pattypan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these sound wonderful ...could you flatten them and then shallow fry them, as I dont have a deep fat fryer but adore Bhajias

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie

      I don't see why not - cooking in my book is adapting recipes to what you have and sometimes changing the cooking style in itself. I would even say if you put some oil in a pan to about an inch and heated it you would then be able to pop them in. I think it is the depth of the fat that is important. Try and see.

      Take care

      Pattypan

      xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts