Pumpkin and Squash

They are in the shops these two beauties I bought this morning and they are destined for some marmalade and for the freezer for roasting. I watched a very good programme this morning by Valentine Warner that roasted slices of pumpkin with red onion until nicely toasted and golden and then adding garlic and serving it up as a side order or as a supper in its own right I was salivating at the thought.  And this recipe for soup sounds delish as well one I am going to try very shortly and perhaps put some up in the freezer as well.





You might have gathered but Pumpkins and Squash feature regularly on the menu here but these ingredients are so much more. I first came across Pumpkin in Australia and had it roasted and I became hooked.  in fact as a family we all love Pumpkin and Squash.


We are coming up to Halloween a festival where pumpkins feature heavily and are usually carved and the flesh disposed of which to me is wasteful especially when you can make an unusual breakfast marmalade which at first sight does not sound promising but which in actual fact is extremely delicious and delicious spread  on croissants or on toast.  Please see the recipe below:

Ingredients:
1.8kg/4lb pumpkin peeled and seeded
3 oranges or lemons finely sliced
600ml/1 pint/ 2 1/2 cups water
1.8kg/4lb/8 cups sugar

Method:

Cut the pumpkin into small cubes. Put the oranges or lemons in a bowl and cover with water.  In a separate bowl toss the pumpkin with the sugar and leave to stand for 24 hours.

Bring the oranges/or lemons to the boil in a large preserving pan then add the pumpkin and the sugar.  Simmer until tender and setting point is reached.  Pot the marmalade in warm clean jars and cover.  Seal.

Makes approximately 2.7kg (6lb)
 
However there are other ways of using up Pumpkin or if that is not available Squash i.e. make you own stuffed pasta, make soup, make Pumpkin pie so there really is no excuse for not using up this much underated edible.  I also freeze it and pop some down for the winter months as the season is limited but at least this way I get to have a favourite roasted with the Sunday lunch.  I merely peel the pumpkin and then cut into slices then halve blanch in boiling water dry and then freeze.  This way round I get the best use out of the Pumpkin as I can make soup or stuff pasta as well as having it roasted.

If you have never tried Pumpkin perhaps its time to remedy that even little ones can be put to good use.  My friend at work gave me the little ones.

Comments

Popular Posts