Marmalade a recipe for Marmalade and Carrot Cake

One of the problems people foresee if people make a lot of home made preserves is well how do I use it up.  I think in a lot of cases it is a case of trial and error and one of the things I have found is that the more I preserve the more ideas I come up with on how to use things up or the more recipes I come across.  I am lucky in that I have a lot of preserving books and I dip in and out of these quite a lot.  As mentioned in my earlier post I had half a jar of home made Seville Orange Marmalade  to use up and I have come across this recipe which should fit the script.  As it happens I also have some carrots to use up.  The recipe is from Mary Tregallas Notes from the Jam Cupboard a lovely little book with some very good recipes and ideas in.  This fits the brief just nicely:

Ingredients:

For the cake

6oz soft brown sugar
6oz margarine
3 eggs separated
2 1/2 oz ground almonds
4 tablespoons warmed marmalade
6oz self raising flour
6oz carrots peeled and grated (about 2 medium sized)
4oz chopped almonds

For the Topping

6oz mascarpone
3 tablespoons lemon curd
few strands of orange zest to decorate

Method

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/350 degrees F/Gas Mark 4.

Grease and line a loose-bottomed cake tin

Cream the sugar and margarine and then beat in the egg yolks and the ground almonds.  Add the marmalade, flour, carrots and chopped almonds and mix well.

Whisk the egg whites until stiff and then fold into the cake mixture.  Tip into the cake tin levelling the top then bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Leave to cool for at least 10 minutes before extracting from the tin.

When the cake has completely cooled and then beat the mascarpone and the lemon curd together spreading all over the cake.  Decorate with the orange zest.

Sounds yummy  - didn't get to it today but will do tomorrow.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Carrot cake and Marmalade and a super topping, guess what we will be eating this weekend. As luck would have it I made some lemon curd on Monday and I always have homemade marmalade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam

      It is a nice recipe I had to use bought lemon curd but am about to remedy the shortage as have lemons lined up to transpose into something yummy. I have quite a nice little collection of items for the pantry shelf and I haven't finished yet.

      Take care and thanks for popping by

      Pattypan

      x

      Delete
  2. This sounds a lovely recipe, especially the citrus topping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds a lovely recipe, especially the citrusy topping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi BB, I like this and its another thing to which to put the marmalade to good use to its not just for breakfast but for dinner and tea too. Hope you are keeping well in this colder weather. Take care sweetheart.

    Pattypan

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts