Getting Ready for Christmas Part 17 - The Start of A sort of Shopping List - Food

There are better things to do with one's lunch hour but then again at times needs must and  I  admit that I am very sad; I spent my lunch in Marks & Spencers writing a bit of a shopping list for some of the bits that I need for the cooking at Christmas and working out the prices.  They have quite a few nice bits . I like to do a recce - there will be some things I will buy but where I can make things myself I will do.  I am sorry for grumbling it just makes me so mad at the prices charged  but even they have little bags of honeycomb less than half a tray for £5 a bag! Aargh! The main ingredient in the Cinder Toffee is 1lb of granulated sugar.  I do not know about you but I am paying 79p for a 1kg (2.2lbs) bag at present.


I was looking mostly at dried exotic fruit but next year I will have my own once I have got to grips with the Dehydrator - not really had time to play so I am hoping to remedy that pretty promptly. However in the interim I will have to buy in.  I was looking for Cranberries today.  I always make fresh Cranberry sauce with Grand Marnier to go with the Turkey and any other cold cuts of meat.  But when Cranberries are in season I always make a scuttle full of Cranberry jelly I use it prolifically throughout the year so I like to have plenty in store.  This year though I want to dry a lot of fresh Cranberries for use during the year and also for next year's preparations. 

I have lots of plans for the Dehydrator and I am hoping to start with it this weekend with some more Orange slices, apple slices etc. for Christmas decorations.  I am also sending for cinnamon quills this weekend as I have a wreath project I would like to have a go at as well.  I just wish the house was bigger so I had room to move and breathe.  One day.  I never really have time to be bored just not enough hours in the day to achieve what I want to.  Life is for living and for learning and for giving and sharing. 

M & S seem to have quite a nice selection of alcohol, liqueurs etc. so I will have a look in the next week or so.  However I am not going to buy their mulled red wine,mulled rose wine or mulled white wine as I am going to prepare my own from scratch.  It is a bit expensive.  I am however rather partial to mulled wine.

I am also in due course hoping to get a proper canner.  Its on the list but I need to save up and put the pennies to one side.  Gives me something to aim for.

Loads of ideas buzzing round my head for now and next year. 

Catch  you soon

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. What a great idea doing a recce first. We're going to be at my mums this year for christmas, but I've said we'll bring the goose (cooked). I still like to get prepared though and do lots of baking etc. I'm planning on doing some brandy butter and a yule log as my son and stepdad don't really like christmas pud. I am very jealous of your dehydrator and having been waiting to hear how you get on with it before splashing out on one. My husband made me a frame to airdry fruit on which worked in the summer, but not sure it would now.

    love fluffy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fluffy I am a great window shopper - then I plan my attack. We always used to have Goose at my Nan's. We did not realise when little that the Goose that stalked the garden was Christmas Dinner. Haven't had it for years as OH likes Turkey. Enjoy. We do a lot of baking as well. I suspect I am going to have to do a few bits for my brother and his wife as she doesn't like the baking side of things and my brother and the boys love the results. My mum always used to do for us. I am a bit peeved about the dehydrator as I had hoped to be in full swing by now I will get there though. Will let you know how I get on. Part of the reason for getting it was to do all my own dried fruits etc. but also to try and eradicate some of the kitchen waste. There is a lot you can do with it. Traditional drying frames have a charm all of their own. I think there is a place for both. Had you thought about doing a Dried fruit Iced Christmas Pudding or is it the dried fruit they are not so keen on. Take care. Pattypan x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts