Seville Oranges 2017

They are here and the season is usually very short and serms to get earlier every year.  What am I talking about but Seville Oranges and I am chuffed to little bits.

I paid a quick visit to the veg shop just for a few bits and bobs and specifically I had Seville Oranges in mind.  They did not have any outside but a big box of them inside.  The owners explained that a lot of new immigrants who hsve come into the area dont know whst they are and they think they are ordinary esting oranges which you and I know is not the case.  So to prevent any misunderstandings thry hsve thrm under their brsdyceyes.

I was so chuffed to find them that 4kgs have come home with me at £2 per kg.  I have popped an order in for some more as well.  Do not worry I did not carry them home I had them delivered home for me together with some other bits and bobs. The owners brother kindly walked them home for me.



I have in mind to make Seville Orange Marmalade some Seville Orange curd some Vin D'Orange and a couple of other preserves as well. I also intend to freeze some for use later in the year as well to give for a Christmas present. The Vin D'Orange is for Christmas next year. There are instructions on how to make marmalade and the Vin D'Orange further back in the blog. I will pop the back links in when my main computer has access to the Internet again.  Dont miss out on the Seville Oranges.  Catch you soon.  Pattypan xx

Comments

  1. Oooh massive thank you for this - I had no idea it was this early in the year. I will go out on my lunch tomorrow to find some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy I keep a big page a day diary for household things family birthdays etc. I even scribble ideas of things i want to do. Basic information about what is seasonal each month is transferred into the diary and what preserves were made which recipe used and the name of the book so I can find things again easily. As i have not really grown my own thus far it means I can take advantage of seasonal foods and allows me to budget for extras. I also put wild fruits and their seasinality in. There is always a little leeway due to how weather has been etc. The reason I keep in a hard diary is that if the computer goes down I still have my information to hand and can move forward seamlessly. Plus it is a record in the life of the house and becomes yiur own home bible. I have also started to type up recipes that i use on a regular basis print them out and laminate them. I then have my own recipe cards for practical everyday use thst are wipe clean. Hope you find some . Take care. Pattypan xx

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Oh my - Tesco have them in!! I don't have any grocers local to me, only the big T, so will have to go there. Thanks again! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you have found some. May I make a suggestion freeze say 4kg for making some later on. What I do is do the initial preparation of the oranges and then freeze them in ice cream cartons. Doung it this way takes up less space in the freezer and means when you do use it will not take you as much time as the prep has been done. Just a word of warning with the peel go medium to fine or if you dont like the peel strain it out. So glad you have found some. If you get stuck yell. There is a tutorial on my blog somewhere as well. Search under Seville Oranges
    Pattypan xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you have found some. May I make a suggestion freeze say 4kg for making some later on. What I do is do the initial preparation of the oranges and then freeze them in ice cream cartons. Doung it this way takes up less space in the freezer and means when you do use it will not take you as much time as the prep has been done. Just a word of warning with the peel go medium to fine or if you dont like the peel strain it out. So glad you have found some. If you get stuck yell. There is a tutorial on my blog somewhere as well. Search under Seville Oranges
    Pattypan xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts