Dulche de Leche - For You and Pressies for Christmas

One of the perks of preserving stuff and putting it up in your pantry is that you can quite economically prepare a small hamper as a present for a friend or a loved one out of what you have in stock.  This is one of the other reasons I make so much as I have found over the years that people who are busy often quite welcome home made preserves, because of the flavours and they have not had to go to the trouble of making something themselves.  I therefore see this as a win win situation.

I am always keen to use the equipment that I have to hand and also preserving something which I do not have to nurse and so frees me up to do other things i.e. multi-tasking. A slow cooker fits into this wish list very nicely.

I like Dulche de Leche (toffee sauce).  You do not need much of it, but to buy it in the shop it costs an arm and a leg for a jar so for me it makes sense to make it yourself, keep what you want and then dish it out as presents to friends and family alike.

I am not making this yet but have it time-tabled for the week before Christmas to make.  It has gone on to my Timeplan.  I can leave it on overnight and when I get up in the morning it should be done.  Once cooled it can be kept in the fridge for up to four weeks.  So this could be very useful for yourself and your family and friends.  The basis for this recipe is a couple of tins of condensed milk.

The most comprehensive recipe/tutorial that I have found to date is here:

https://www.bettycrocker.com/how-to/tipslibrary/tools-equipment/diy-slow-cooker-dulce-de-leche?_escaped_fragment_=

This makes about six little pots in the slow-cooker and fills it up.  So you are getting your monies worth.  That is from two tins of Condensed milk.  However if you wanted larger jars then I would suggest that you could do this but I would double up on the quantity of condensed milk and use the standard sized jam jars.


However if you want something a little lighter and a little less sweet Davina McCall has a recipe on the Lakeland website and the link to this is here:


This recipe uses evaporated milk.

So a couple of options here.  Hope this helps in your present making plan.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x








Comments

  1. As you can tell from my comment frequency, I'm reading back through your blog to capture everything as you've so many inspiring posts. This sounds like a great gift option, especially for those who don't drink so thank you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts