Very cold here and Tales from the kitchen

Just a quick pop in.  Bitterly cold here today.  Very much soup weather.  So rather than making my own like I usually do I gave in and bought some from the Co-Op. The only reason being I was so cold I did not want to end up with a cold and good warming food usually ensures that you keep healthy.  I bought Minestrone but we were not keen.  Even OH tried because it was Minestrone, but its not what he thinks of as Minestrone.  So I will not be buying that again and will be making my own from now on in.  The only reason I bought was that I needed a solution to an immediate problem.  OH informed me that I should carry on with my usual practice of adding in what I think rather than following a specific recipe as he thinks it is more flavourful that way on. (Back-handed compliment?  Not sure).

Never mind I have bought two chickens; they will be roasted together. One will be for dinner the other together with the pickings from the first chicken will go towards some individual pies and also soup/stew and stock and if enough meat left over will go towards Coronation chicken for pack ups.  I would emphasise that they are the larger chickens.  The stock of course at this time of year is always useful and gives more flavour.

I have also bought a joint of pork for roasting for dinner tomorrow with home made stuffing that should make a good meal with home made apple sauce as well and then any left overs for serving cold on Monday night with some bubble n squeak.  Goes very well with cold cuts.

I may if I get the time also make a Treacle sponge pudding with custard and a crumble for OH.  (Too much sugar in the Treacle one for him).

I have a few bay leaves drying at the moment.  Not many but enough to put into a jar to go into soups and stews and gravies and sauces.  You can also grind them down into bay leaf powder and just add a little here and there.  You do not require much.

I need to get veggies from the veggie shop.  I bought some chestnuts that had been reduced and intend to have some hot later on as a treat.  I have picked up what would be the equivalent of two nets for £2.  They will come in handy.  I did not tarry as it was so cold and told them that I will be back later on which I will.  When its told you really do need to have nice warming food to keep well no matter how simple or that you do not have loads of vegetables.  I often find that simple is best.

 Right had better get a wriggle on.

Catch you later.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts