Filberts and seasonal markers

Not about preserving per se this evening. I am still a little tired but we are getting there.  However this post is about food.  Seasonal food.

Time goes so quickly.  It does not seem five minutes since last year when I purchased my seasonal fix of filbert nuts.  These are in effect the green hazelnuts before they are dried and when the kernels are at their sweetest.

For me the sign of the first Filberts is a sign that we are slowly slipping into autumn.  One of those seasonal markers like picking the first strawberries, or the first of the eating apples (non-keepers). Its the same with the blackberries and the wild mushrooms like puffballs etc.  All mark time in their own way and yet I personally think are an essential part of life  - well my life anyway.

My dad bought some of these home one year when I was a child and they have been a firm favourite seasonal treat for me since then.  I also like Green Walnuts which my late inlaws introduced me to.  Funnily enough I do not like pickled Walnuts.

There are quite a few Filberts to go at.  I bought a kilo.  OH discovered them for the first time last year so have had to hide the new lot otherwise there will be nothing left when I go to them. I think I got part of the first batch into the store.

I potentially have a very busy day tomorrow so am not sure whether I will get on here or not but if not in the day in the evening to play catch up.

Right had better get on a nice cup of coffee is waiting for me.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Filbert is the name for a cultivated hazelnut as opposed to wild ones, nothing to do with 'green' or 'mature'; both wild and cultivated hazelnuts can be eaten green or mature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that. I was not sure and as the nuts are sweet and green I assumed it was the same process of the walnut. It is good to learn these things. Thank you for letting me know. Kind regards Tricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kent cobs are Filberts and larger than hazelnuts. You can usually only collect them while they are green, otherwise the squirrels get them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts