Button Box Number One

It has taken me a good couple of hours but I have sorted through one of the button boxes that came from my mum's home and I believe the owner of it was my Nan.  A couple of small tell tale signs.  Nan was rather fond of Quality Street sweeties (when they were proper sweeties and sold only in small tins) and these buttons are stored in such a tin.  Also as I have patiently sorted through the tin I have found a few different vintage buttons -not the sort of thing my mum would have gone for for instance.  There are also a lot of green buttons in that tin.  Green was my Nan's favourite colour.  It also has a lot of mother of pearl shirt buttons in which I am quite excited about.  Not sure at this stage whether they are going to go onto a special ornament to commemorate my Nan and Pop or whether I am going to encompass them within the button chain or wreath.  I suppose in part that will depend on what I find in the other two boxes.

Because they have been stored for so long in that tin they are a bit grubby so they will need a gentle cleaning.  I am going to soak gently in some soap and then rinse off and then add a little baby oil to bring out the shine.

Here are what I have sorted this evening.  All in aid of making some special Christmas decorations for the tree and then maybe something with  the other buttons in the jewellery line.  Will see.





When I get a project in mind I keep at things until they are sorted to my satisfaction and then I tend to sit down and deal with the making of in one fair swoop too.  Sorting through the buttons certainly is a time consuming job but attention to the minutiae never did any harm from my perspective.

There are another two boxes to go yet.  I am not quite sure what I will find in those but I am particularly pleased with the finds from this one.  I shall probably sort them another evening whilst listening to the television but being productive at the same time.

When I was a little girl I used to be given the button box at my aunt's home to play with as a way of keeping me occupied.  There were so many pretty buttons in that box from memory and it did the job kept me absorbed, amused and quiet.

Right am off to put the buttons into a gentle soak.

Catch you later on.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I love sorting through button tins. So relaxing! When I was working in an early years unit, a colleague asked for buttons. I gave her a selection of about 40 from my stash, all colours shapes and sizes. She used to sit with children who lacked language and communication skills. They loved counting and sorting the buttons and we're soon chatting about them. Such a simple idea, but she achieved fantastic results.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts