Cold season

Because the weather has been up and down cold one minute and warm the next I have had the sniffles and OH had developed a full blown cold and is quote "dying" and has had a rough night and not slept very well.  

As we were late up this morning - the breakfast I had planned went out the window and I ended up setting too and making a batch of French Onion Soup.  This is one of the soups I make at the mere sniff of a cold.  It is good for you as it has the antiseptic qualities of both Onion and Garlic in the mix. I cooked this in my multi cooker and I must say it did the soup very nicely so is cost efficient as well.  It was all done and dusted within the hour. I did the mashed potatoes for the cottage pie last night in it as well and I was pleased with how they came out too.  So this is proving a really useful piece of equipment.

I like making soup it lets my inner witch out to play.  Normally it is over a pan on the cooker and a bit of hocus pocus and hubble bubble comes into play but essentially it is a joy of cooking with good natural ingredients and making something tasty out of them. Layering ingredients to bring out the maximum flavour.  Good food has always been the essential through the generations on both sides of my family.  As long as you have good natural food to eat anything else is a bonus.

I normally serve the soup with a slice of toasted French bread with Gruyere grated over the top and then melted under the grill.  This melts the cheese and makes it all gooey and it drips into the soup and adds extra flavour.  However as he was "in need" I ended up serving it in a couple of large mugs.  It came out very well and at least will work well with his autoimmune system and help combat the infection and make his pipes feel a little more comfortable and lets face it with a virus or a common cold all we want a lot of the time is to feel a lot more comfy. I am a big believer that you do not have to pop pills or medications all the time.  Some pills you have to take for long term medical conditions like epilepsy and also diabetes and vitamin D deficiency but a lot are not necessary and rather than pop pills I use food.  French Onion soup is one of the ways I use. 

The soup has gone down very nicely and cleared my throat a little and warmed me up a bit There is another good portion of the soup left for each of us.  I must say that I have just had my mug full of soup and it has cleared the back of my throat and it does not feel so coated if you get what I mean.    

I will still be cooking Toad in the Hole this evening for tea with onion gravy so he will be getting a double whammy of nature's anti-septic.

Right am off to do what I originally set out to do first thing this morning get on with the kitchen but I have been somewhat side-tracked with getting OH back on track and the making of the soup and multi-tasking whilst I was making that.

Catch you later on.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts