Home made Christmas preparations

I know I am preaching to the converted to the majority of  you who have been following my blog for a little while but I understand that there are some of you who have never prepared your own base ingredients for your own home made Christmas.


I am particularly talking about the Christmas cake, Christmas puddings, home made Mincemeat, home made dried fruit chutneys, jams, marmalades, curds, some sloe gin or dried fruit slices for use in home made decorations, home made paper chains, home made decorations etc.  Making your own little gifts, instead of buying commercially made items and of course there is always the option of buying presents through the year from local artisans or from local fairs etc. if you do not feel skilled or confident enough to have a go.  There is always a way round an issue.  So I thought I would put up some posts covering the making of the cake, the Christmas puddings, the Mincemeat, some Chutney even making your own mini hamper and even some little cheats.  I am not trying to teach those of you who are more accomplished to "suck eggs" but sometimes by seeing other people do stuff you come up with your own ways of dealing with things so it is a win-win situation in my mind.  We can always learn.  Women share and talk and solve problems (no offence to any gentleman readers intended here)

Most people like something that has been home cooked or prepared as it tends to have more personality and flavour than shop bought products and uses better quality ingredients and besides its nice to have something a little different on your pantry shelf. It is also good when there are littlies in the household to encourage them and teach them things in a safe environment.  It will also teach them that learning to do something new is and can be fun.

I went into town today to meet a friend and yesterday when I went in John Lewis had started to put up their decorations when I went in today they ha completed it.  Looked lovely but at the moment not as stunning as last year's efforts although there are some very nice decorations.

I nipped into M & S at lunch and they had also started to put up their decorations.  Must say that I do like their display and some really nice decorations this year.  When I nipped back later on it was finished and it looked lovely.  More along the lines of a traditional Christmas with Fairies, Robins, Reindeer, owls, nutcracker soldiers.  Every year I always buy a couple of new decorations and I think my selection this year at the moment is going to come from M & S although I have other ideas as well.  More on that in another post.  The decorations made me feel all nostalgic.  Christmas means a lot to me in the long run but I believe passionately that the magic is not just for children but also a time for the adults to let their inner child out to play.

I have always been one for board games and in the Works just recently they have had a vintage set of games including, sticks, Ludo, Backgammon and a fishing game which have one at a time come home with me.  These can also go under the tree once all the pressies have gone and be there for anyone to have a game if they so wish.  I have never played Backgammon and am looking forward to learning how to do this.

Are there any games that you and your family play over the Christmas period and if so what are they.  Will start posting the articles/posts shortly on my preparations for the Christmas period and I am hopeful that you will also have a go at making your own too. I know that a lot of you do in any event I am trying to encourage those of you who never have before.

Right am a little sleepy now and I think it was time I was in bed.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. Oh I look forward to your posts on preparing your Christmas treats! I love everything about Christmas and can't wait to learn from you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts