Pumpkin, Pumpkin Spice and all things nice





I love pumpkin.  I first developed a liking for this when staying with my friends in Australia some 34 years ago.  I had it roasted there and it is something I have continued to have as a seasonal veg ever since.  I am a firm pumpkin addict so much so I always freeze some for use in between whilst we are pumpkin free as it were (except my stash is in the freezer) and I usually get it out when I do an extra special version of roasties, parsnips, sweet potato and of course pumpkin.

I never waste pumpkin.  One of my favourite ways of preserving this is in a pumpkin marmalade which I love spread on thick cut toast.  It is very different but I love it.  Makes good use of a pumpkin that has been used for decoration and as you know I hate wasting things.  Mind you I also like carrot jam and one of my favourite ways of using that is in the bottom of  a trifle!  Most jams are very forgiving in the bottom of a trifle and sometimes you just have to use what you have to hand, bite the bullet and try it. In my mind jam is jam and it is only the flavour that is different.  Needless to say that when I first tried it I was filled with some trepidation but it is quite a light and lovely breakfast type marmalade.  Delicious.  I have written extensively about pumpkin before and the link is here together with links to recipes I use: Pumpkin.

I bought two medium sized ones last night.  This year I did not get to carving my pumpkin but that does not mean we are not going to eat it.  One is for jam/marmalade and the other is to be frozen.  If I can get anymore will do and then will probably make some chutney as well.  I need to research canning it for next year as I would quite like to be able to make my own pumpkin pie, and various other recipes from stock held on my pantry shelf.  Something else for the "To Do List"!




But what exactly is Pumpkin Spice?

It is a  mixed spice used to flavour up food that little bit more and usually consists of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and allspice.

Here is a recipe courtesy of Mom on Timeout Pumpkin Spice ,Mix together with ideas on how to use the same.  One for the pantry shelf I would suggest.

Do you like pumpkin?  If so how do you cook it or use it.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I love pumpkin pie but as I’m the only one in the family who does I don’t make it because I can’t abide the waste. It will freeze but doesn’t taste the same and the texture changes slightly. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennie, I did not know that. I was thinking of canning the pumpkin (I have a canner which I have not tried yet) and then take it from there. I will have to see how I get on. Take care. Tricia xx

      Delete
  2. I just finished making a pumpkin cheesecake...I didn't love it but everyone else did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lefting. That is something I have never tried. It does sound nice though. Sorry it was not your thing. Tricia x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts