Rain, Water and Waste and Re-Using/Recyling

Rain  - Well that is what we have woken up to this morning and by the look of things (it is grey, overcast and that fine mizzley rain) and a little windy every now and then -  it looks as though it is set for the day.  I have the bulk of the day at home thank goodness but I have a lot to achieve.  Some of it I cannot do because of the weather but I will do what I can.

In retrospect however, (its always easier to comment after the event I know) but after the warm summer we have had I think we are in need of it.  The reason I say this is that when I posted about walking Missy the other day as I was tramping around the hedgerows I came across a lot of large and raised cracks in the earth - not small either and quite raised.  What I call trip up material.  I had meant to take a photo of it at the time as it had surprised me a little to say the least.  So I do not think we are out of the woods on the water situation.  

I also think the decision to put the water barrels in situ was a correct one for me for next year as I intend to grow a bit again for next year.  Hopefully by that time the water table here will recover for next summer.  

I know we are low lying here in Peterborough and do not receive half as bad the weather or rain like Counties like Wales do but if we all did our bit, and grew a bit, and saved what we could (across many spectrums) it would help us and our families and also less stress on the water services as a result as well as help the planet. A bit like the war years, where people were encouraged to do things for themselves, i.e. keep a few chickens for the eggs, grow a few veggies and not waste any food at all which was ultimately an offence against the state.  I know quite a few of us already do this, but if those that do not had some deterrent (like in the War years) we might do oh so much better in the longer run.

As I have said before I was bought up with a thrifty family.  It was a state of play then, things were valued much more highly than they are today which ultimately is a pity.  I remember my mother knitted herself a very posh woollen suit (they were all the rage back in the sixties and she also knitted me one in pale blue as well).  Once they were outgrown and past their best that was not the end of it.  The garments were hand washed and dried.  The garment was then pulled down and the wool re-wound and used for something else.  I remember being sat on a stool as a little girl with hands wide open whilst mother wound the wool (which was quite frequently bought in hanks in those days), something that she seemed to use me for a lot over the years as knitting was her main hobby.  She was a very good hand knitter and also very good with a knitting machine.  It just goes to prove how times have changed.

I personally these days love good quality second hand items. I would rather have new to me items something that has had a life, still has a use and often can be re-purposed or re-used within our day to day lives.  For instance I have a very large terracotta pot that was in my Nan's kitchen.  It is past its best for keeping bread in which was it's original use.  Besides when it came to me it had no lid.  That is no matter as it makes a very good pot for storing nuts in sprinkled liberally with salt.  They keep for ages in this way and it is usually ensconced in the bottom of my pantry.  However it serves a purpose.

I am not perfect, and I am not pontificating here but I make mistakes I am only human but I do try ever so hard not to waste anything.  It does not always work but that is what I aim for i.e. not to waste anything.  It only gets disposed of in the dustbin if there is absolutely no use for it.

A lot of the time things are sent to the local Charity shop even those items past their best as they send those to the rag man for recycling in any event.

I think that is why I am so taken with Patchwork and projects where you can re-use vintage materials. Patchwork in particular reuses small amounts of fabric which can be incorporated within something that is creative and often very beautiful.  

However I also have waiting in the wings an embroidered tablecloth project.  It is made up patchwork style of linen chair back covers (for the fabric but without the lace) which is to be re-purposed elsewhere. Lace bands then separate each square and because the linen has been preloved you use what is known as waste canvas to execute the embroidery on the linen. It is a Melinda Coss design.  I have all the waste canvas, all the linen panels, the embroidery threads to complete this.  Now need to find the time to execute it.  This has been on the to do list for quite sometime.  I might actually start working this over the Christmas period a bit at a time to get it out of the way with.

I also try to be thrifty with my preserving.  Quite frequently people will make jellies these days and then chuck what is left in the nylon jelly bag.  A lot of the time there is no need for this as that mush can be turned into another preserve known as a "cheese" because it was often served with cheese as part of a cheese platter.  Even when making some home made wines you can also use this method to make a jam or a cheese.  The old way is not to waste anything.  I think also that a lot of the old ways are best.  Tried and proven methods that work.

Well I am off to potter and play in some circumstances.  Some of the crab apples are bubbling on the stove and will then be put into a jelly net to strain all the liquid and left overnight.  Tomorrow then will be finalising the jelly and bottling up.  I particularly love making jellies, just sad I could not locate any red or pink ones as they make a really lovely jelly which goes nice and pink or deep red which is especially nice for Christmas.  Cannot grumble I am grateful for small blessings.  I also intend to make some chilli and crab apple jelly and also some Rosemary and crab apple jelly as well as spiced jelly so there are quite a few variations planned.  All are useful and particularly tasty with a cold meat or meat and cheese platter.  Yum.

On that note i am off.

Catch you later.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I’m older than you, but I have also lived a make do and mend way of life. Most of our furniture (a lot of Ercol) is second hand and my husband also makes furniture. That isn’t to say I can’t be a shopaholic as well!... I’m so easily tempted - but others benefit from that too and giving is even better than receiving. I also craft when I’m able. Everyone needs savings but as my dad always used to say “there are no pockets in a shroud” so ‘treats’ are quite acceptable I think.

    I’m never going to get a pantry now, but I grew up in a Council house and most of them had them as a matter of course. Mind you, there was so little money around that they weren’t exactly bursting with food. We own our house, but food is simply in cupboards - and an emergency store in a few cardboard boxes on the landing! So stylish!

    We spent a lifetime growing, foraging, pickling, jam making, baking and chicken breeding - but I must admit my preserves were absolutely nowhere near as adventurous as yours. You are very inventive. Well done! You are a good example of what people can achieve if they really think about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts