A visit to a new Butchers and Gravy Salt

Last year we had probably the best ever Turkey that we have ever had.  It cost a pretty penny but we were more than pleased with it.

This year OH decided to try a new to us farm near where we live.  It is called Moor Farm at Newborough out in the middle of the fen.  However we were met by a charming full of fun family and a smashing butchers set up to boot.  The shop has a bit of everything and not necessarily what every other shop has either. The produce looked really good and there were are a lot of individual artisan products there.


We now have our Turkey a Bronze one.  It looks fantastic and not anaemic like some of the ones I have seen in the stores.  We also have pigs in blankets, streaky bacon, pork pie, some short ribs, a rib joint, 1kg of stewing steak, some sausagemeat, cheeses including Stilton and Lincolnshire Poacher and a Haslet.  So feeling pretty satisfied with life at the moment.  I have to go to the veg shop yet for all the veggies but I still have plenty of time to do that.  We are going to try the Pork pie shortly with some ketchup.   My favourite way of eating pork pie.


Whilst in there I picked up some goose fat - yes I have the pork dripping but both will get used when I noticed that they had a what is called a "Gravy Saviour" called Old Jakes.  There was a little leaflet with it and so curious I started reading and it turns out it is a gravy salt which came into being after Burdalls Gravy Salt stopped being produced in 2000 in the village of Wymondham.  Now I by choice (as did my mum) always used Burdalls Gravy block as part of my gravy preparation and I must say nothing has ever quite lived up to it since. So I am quite looking forward to seeing whether it is as good as it says it is.  Will report back.



The link for "Old Jakes" is here: Old Jakes

I must say that I did like the shop.  Very much my type of place and the meat quality looks good.  What I forgot to say was that they hang their Beef.  I do like hanged beef.  They also sell venison which will probably have a look at when we go back.

We are just having a pork pie moment and must say it looks good.  It is still warm.



Well verdict is not bad, it is peppery which we like and the pastry is nice and crisp.  Not bad at all and it comes in a resealable bag which is a bonus.

So I think we will be going back!

I have a large gammon in the freezer which OH is going to rescue and then that will be the cold cuts.  I am going to do some in the Elizabethan style with cloves studded into the ham which I have a particular penchant for as well as a ginger and orange glazed version.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x




Comments

  1. That sounds like a good shop. We have several cuts of venison in the freezer including a big joint, which we may have on Boxing Day (or may do our usual venison casserole a la Anthony Worral-Thompson).

    Sounds like you have all the meat in anyway. I bet your gravy will be the best in the town!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts