Wrapping the parcels - Sourcing and Gathering bits together Part One

For a while now I have always kept a large roll of brown paper in the house which I bought off the Internet and which I use year round for wrapping presents or parcels of any kind whether that be parcels for shipping, parcels for birthdays and parcels for Christmas.  It is here to stay.  I think the large roll cost about £11 but once it is depleted it will be replaced as it is far too useful.

The whole point of actually buying the large roll of paper was so that I could individually decorate wrapping papers myself to suit the recipient but as usual due to time constraints this has not just happened.  I had visions of making the bulk of these in the autumn using dried leaves and paints in simple colourways with glitter, and also dried natural leaves. I also collected Fir cones, larch cones, seed heads etc for parcel decoration in anticipation of the labels made from re-cycled home made paper with flower petals or leaves within the home made paper itself.    All these accessories will still be put into use and will not go to waste at all.

I had also purchased a couple of paper making kits to make my own paper from recycled plain paper that would otherwise find itself in Landfill.  The overall idea was that I would make the paper from all the waste white paper from the house and that any resulting paper would be used in conjunction with my Big Shot for making cards and labels and unusual containers. Therefore in its purest form the  idea was that they would all work in conjunction with each other for my own personal packaging needs so that I did not have to purchase too much extra.  The overall image was that it would be green recycling as brown paper breaks down naturally once it hits landfill whereas fancy bought wrapping papers do not always do this.

I also thought that it would be a way of keeping the grandchildren entertained in making wrapping papers. I have a lot of ink stamps and ink pads as well so really there are quite a lot of options and a lot of scope in how wrapping paper is decorated plus it keeps littlies entertained for a little while and after all it was something I used to let my step-children loose with on the kitchen floor so why not the grand littlies all four of them!

On top of this I have also been collecting cheap pretty ribbons wherever I can.  Tiger Tiger is a good place for this as is The Works.  However I also look out for reductions elsewhere and also recycle bits off of presents I have received.

I have also been sat playing with my Bow Maker and have made up several pretty bows.  I found the ribbon itself at Hobbycraft cheaply enough I have red and gold colourways in different widths.  You should be able to source this from anywhere that sells floristy supplies as it is predominantly that sort of packing ribbon but I also use haberdashery ribbon as well in different colours, widths and textures.  The floristy ribbon can also be split with a special shredding tool and curled with the edge of a pair of scissors to give a whispier effect and also be turned into flowers.

I have been and added a couple of more reels of ribbon from Tiger Tiger today to add to the main stash and in readiness for me playing when it comes to wrapping the presents up.  For present wrapping I love proper ribbon  - I end up recycling it of course but I think it looks so much nicer.  If any of you have a Tiger Tiger in your area it is well worth a visit as they have lots of useful bits on the present and packing front.  What I call a very eclectic shop but you have to buy when you see stuff as it goes terribly quickly.

I also for packaging sweets in cone shapes or adding marshmallows to a chocolate kit use the disposable icing bags.  My last lot came from a £ shop which is even better.  You can even put sweeties in these.

I also source cellophane when it is on offer buying both plain, coloured and patterned so that I have something a little fancier to wrap a plant or some flowers in.  They are also ideal for pamper packs or raffle prizes.  I usually source a lot of it from The Works.

I am still pulling stuff together but will follow on in Part Two with what I have prepared so far.

Catch you later.

Pattypan

x


P.S. I am under the name Rhymennreason on Ebay and these are some of the items which are for sale.













Comments

Popular Posts