Tying up the ends from last year to this

I saw the New Year in quietly and after a busy afternoon where I had been and topped up on food from Waitrose which is a good half an hour walk up the road from where I live.  The Co-op is 5 minutes away so I tend to go and buy bulky bits and bobs from there as it is easier for me to manage.  However I was a little shocked yesterday at how much difference there was between the two shops on a 6 pint bottle of full milk.  I have been paying £2.15 at the Co-op for the 6 pint bottle.  It was £1.50 yesterday at Waitrose so I think I shall be tottling up there with my trolley every couple of days or so and buying it from there. I also found a couple of other bits and bobs a bit cheaper i.e. bread flour and also self raising and plain flour and it was not on offer.  What I have been paying at the Co-op more would in effect near enough purchase another 6 pint bottle of milk.  I am not having that!  Especially as I am going to be making a lot more stuff from scratch.  Yogurt, soft cheeses, buttermilk all can be achieved quite easily at home and I believe a lot cheaper.  I need to meal plan a bit more  so that I can plan what dairy bits I will need.  Live yogurt in particular is good for the digestive system.

I was looking at a Tarte tatin pudding for tea last night which basically consists of puff pastry and apples cooked in a frying pan in the oven which is absolutely to my mind blooming gorgeous as it goes all caramelised and lush.  Waitrose wanted over £5 for the provision of.  That is well over double what it would potentially cost to make at home.  It was not the only thing.  It would seem that any kind of pudding or pre-prepared food is fair game on the price front lovely they might be but you cannot beat home-made. but the price.  If I can save a penny here and there I will do even if it makes more work for me as the pennies in my pocket can be used to great effect elsewhere.  I know that Waitrose have a reputation for being a  little dearer which is not always the case.  Its like everywhere else you have to shop around for the bargains and make the most of them.  As I have said before I am an ingredients person if you  have them to start with and a good stock of everything you can make anything.  I have been more and more trying just to buy the ingredients and then making stuff myself unless there is absolutely a genuine need otherwise and Baking Day is making a return to this household.

I am also going to need dairy items for baking, puddings, general cooking and also for bread making.  I have dabbled with the bread making in the past but I am going to have another bash and get myself better organised.  I came across a little bread book yesterday and it has some nice I hope idiot proof recipes in it which I am going to experiment with. Some fancier breads as well.  I have also dug out my 100 Great Breads by Paul Hollywood as that has some lovely recipes in too.

I also bought Moules Mariniere for the first meal of the New Year which are to be cooked with cider a little butter and garlic and French bread.  Really looking forward to that. There is also some pate for padding out the meal with what is left of the French bread but it will not waste even if we do not eat it today as it can be turned into topping for French Onion soup, croutons, bread and butter pudding or you can turn it into Bruschetta with some tomato and garlic.  Yum.

I also have some Aberdeen Angus beef mince to make a home made Lasagna with home made tomato sauce.

As I have beef left over and other veggie bits that I really do not want to waste we will probably have a stir fry on Friday evening to use up all the bits and bobs served with some home made Jasmine rice.  It is a rather easy way of bringing things together and making the most of them.  I do not like wasting stuff.

Well the last meal of yesterday was really tasty.  I had planned on having Roast rib of beef on Sunday but in the end OH was not really hungry and neither was I so we ended up having it yesterday.  The rib meat was succulent, tender and full of flavour.  Expensive yes but a good piece of meat every now and then is well a treat for us and one that was very much enjoyed.  Made some lovely gravy too of which there is still some left over.  That will form the basis of some soup probably French Onion which is a favourite here.  I have some Gruyere so if there is any French bread stick left it might be going on top.

So lots of plans on the food front for this New Year, but I could not in good conscience not mention that beautiful Rib of beef we had yesterday which was from Moor Farm the new butchers we went to at Christmas. It was melt in the mouth like butter.

Right am off to potter and do a bit here and there.  Must say that I am looking forward to my tea later on.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

xx

Comments

  1. I've always found the Co-op dreadfully expensive and buy nothing there unless there is no alternative. Our local-ish one at X-Hands has just shut as it cannot compete with the Aldi across the other side of the roundabout, and I'm not surprised. If you have an Aldi, check it out - you will be amazed at the savings. Lidl ditto, but I think Aldi have the edge.

    Enjoy your bread-making. I need to make a loaf tomorrow but will be cheating and using the Panasonic - that way I can get on with other jobs whilst it is mixing, rising and cooking.

    Puddings are mostly easy to make and taste so much better than any "boughten" ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi BB, we have both Aldi and Lidl but they are a fair way from the house and I cannot get there easily unless I am taken which does happen from time to time. I need some buns for OHs packups this week so am hoping to get them started first thing. I am meeting a friend tomorrow lunch so will be out for a little while. Tomorrow evening I am demoing with colleagues giving readings at spiritual group I belong to in public. I usually use my panny as well as I am not so good with the old knreading butam going to give it another go. I was just looking for something on the pudding front as a treat but we will be having Tarte Tatin on Thursday evening as I have cooking apples in the fridge that need using up and some puff pastry in there also. I am looking forward to experimenting more and into getting into a routine with everything. Catch you soon Pattypanxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts