Fruit Blossom Petals



Perhaps this post is slightly out of sync and probably going to be of more use next year but there is still blossom available around where I live.

Both wild and cultivated blossoms always signals spring in this country for me in any event being the country bumpkin that I am. Therefore I am always looking for ways to use up this wild bounty in whichever format it presents itself in the form of petals or fruit or even leaves.


I suppose I am old school being brought up at the knee of my grandmother and my mother both of whom were very concerned in keeping us fed particularly during the colder winters that we used to have.  This resulted in them preserving fruits into jam or bottling them and making wines and beers and syrups and squirrelling them away in the pantry.

Mum always made nettle wine, and other country wines Elderflower Champagne being a family favourite.  We also had the Ginger Beer plants.  Somewhere I have her CJ Berry winemaking book as well as my own but I know there is a recipe in there for Hawthorn Blossom wine.  It is one I have considered making on and off for years and this year I have decided to indulge myself and make a couple of gallons.  

If the weather is good on Thursday I am going to be foraging for the petals.  Being as I could  not land my hands on my books at this precise moment in time I have been pootling along on the internet checking out any recipes I can.  I also have another book in which there is a recipe for Hawthorn Blossom syrup.  Same scenario cannot lay my hands on the book at this precise moment in time.  I have located a recipe for the May Blossom (Hawthorn) Syrup which is below.

https://the-grazer.blogspot.com/2016/06/hawthorn-blossom-syrup.html on the blog but also in my research I have come upon a use for the petals to make home made ice cream.  Now what more seasonal treat could you wish for.  You can also use home made syrups to make sorbets and ice creams.  Link is here on the Hedgerow Harvest website which I have found very useful for the ice cream.




I am also aware of a May Day cup/drink made from macerating Hawthorn (May) Blossom in Brandy which I am also intending to have a go at.

However I have also came across this recipe using wine.


I assume that because it is Hawthorn blossom that there will be a subtle flavour of almonds but I do not know as yet,  The proof of the pudding will be in the tasting.

Talking of puddings there are also recipes for a Lebanese pudding and Hawthorn Blossom ice cream here https://tastethewild.co.uk/hawthorn-blossom-pastry-dessert-the-english-hedgerow-meets-the-lebanese-kitchen/

And finally

Hawthorn blossom cordial 


There is still an awful lot of Hawthorn/May blossom around here so I intend to go for a walk on Thursday weather permitting to see what I can find and have a foraging expedition on all fronts and then a session in the kitchen making something from them.

Right am off to play.

Have a lovely day - sun is out here and it looks as though it is going to be a lovely day.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x




Comments

  1. I can remember picking the May blossom with my granny but have no recollection of what she did with it, so probably wine. I will have a look at some of those links, there is lots of blossom here as well. Plenty for using blossom and still leave loads for the haws to be made into jelly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts