Bay Leaf Salt





Whilst cooking up a joint of pork the other day and managing to get a good lovely crackling on the joint I mused to myself that it was about time that I made a batch of bay leaf salt and kept it just for the pork dishes. I am intending to do more meat preserves this year if I can and pennies allowing. I made a very small amount of this a few years ago and as I have a few bay leaves to hand and no doubt will have some more later in the year, I thought it was about time some more was on the shelf.

In the quieter months of the year before all the new fruits and vegetables and abundance of herbs arrives what a better opportunity to do something useful for the pantry shelf that can be used on a regular basis the base ingredient which is already standing dried on my pantry shelf.

Bay salt was traditionally used by Butchers (so I understand) for curing pork joints.  It will give a little more flavour to a lovely cut of meat in any event. Although predominantly I cook without salt every so often I add a little in -I do not use much in any event but sometimes you just want or need a bit more flavour.  I am forever messing around as I cook in any event adding a bit of this and a bit of that.  My cooker resembles a witches cauldron when I get going.

In America however bay salt is a mixture of herbs and salt which comes from the Chesapeake Bay area.  I found this out by chance and have come across a recipe so this will be on the to do list in the next few weeks as well.  I use home dried bay leaves to flavour my gravies, stews, stocks etc. together with lots of white pepper and other flavourings like carrot, celery and onion.  Gives a lot more flavour.  However I digress here is the link to the Bay Salt recipe which sounds interesting. I found this on Pinterest and it gave a link but instead of a direct link to an individual it came up with link not available and there was some sort of weblink instead.  So apologies for not being able to give credit to the necessary individual.


So each time I research something, it leads me on to something different but I guess that is how we all learn at the end of the day and extend our repertoire.

Talking of salt, I have been experimenting a little with the Pink Himalayan finely ground salt.  For the past couple of times I have cooked roast pork I have used this.  You do not need much salt to give a lovely crisp skin it also seasons the pan well and as I used the meat juices to make the gravy gives a lovely seasoned flavour.  Have been very impressed.  I am going to try a Pink Bay Leaf Salt as a result of this and will come back and let you know how I get on.

Back to the garden.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts