How to make soy milk (Duyu: 두유)



I am ever keen to cut down on unnecessary packaging or indeed make my own versions of items that I use on a regular basis.  And what I tend to do is make stuff initially test drive it and if  we like it and I think that there is a use for it in Pattypan's Pantry then that item is added to my pantry shelf core ingredients.  I am at the state with this tutorial below where I am going to test drive the recipe to see whether it is one he likes and will be happy with.


 OH is not keen on milk but he does not mind soy milk or almond milk.  However I do not like the prices charged in the supermarket.  I also believe that if I can source the soya beans fairly cheaply this might be a good way to make soya milk for the OH.  I am going to check out our very good Chinese shop in town tomorrow to see whether or not this is feasible.  In any event I always like to see how things are made.  I am also keen to cut down on packaging and to some degree reliance on the shops.  If I use a base ingredient I do keep it in stock in my pantry so I would make sure that I had the beans inhouse in bulk for ready access.  It will also enable me to keep a good lookout for any bargains to be had on prices.






I found this tutorial purely by chance but it is very thorough and I think the presenter is totally charming - she is also very hands on.

Keeping core items in bulk in my pantry enables me to live quite happily when times are tough as there is always a good stock of useful ingredients to be had especially when pennies are tight.  In those sorts of situations you can still have those items considered a luxury on your table.  It also enable me to stock up on base items when there is a good offer on.

As both OH and I have both long term medical conditions as well I am also primarily looking at food to heal or at least help these conditions long-term as I think where you can help yourself with food it is better for you in the longer term than always popping pills for this and pills for that.  It is just getting used to a different way of doing things and  a different mindset in the way we cook.

Right am off to carry on in the garden still an awful lot to do.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Update: Have checked out the local Chinese supply shop.  500g of Soy beans £1.35 - so it will work out cheaper in the long run to make our own on paper.  Now to the practicalities.  Going to have a go at this next week and see what we think.

Pattypan 

x

Comments

Popular Posts