Lemon Surprise Pudding

As I scored a bowl of lemons at the weekend for £1.00, I thought it was time to resurrect this very simple pudding.  I first came across this pudding on one of the Good Food programmes that used to be on BBC2 over 35 years ago.  I tried it we liked it and certainly when the children were home it was one that appeared regularly on the pudding itinerary.

I have a sweet tooth; I love cooking and as OH cannot indulge on the sweet he can on the savoury so I do not feel too guilty about this particular pudding as it will do me for a couple of meals.

You will need:

2oz butter
4oz caster sugar
grated rind and juice of one lemon
2 eggs separated
1 oz plain flour
1/2 pint of milk

Method:

Heat the oven to 180 degrees C/350 degrees F/Gas Mark 4.

Butter a 2 pint pie dish.

Cream the butter with the sugar until pale and fluffy and then beat in the lemon rind into the butter and sugar.  Beat in the egg yolks.  Sieve the flour and add it by degrees with the milk followed by the lemon juice (it will curdle but do not worry).

Beat the egg whites stiffly and fold evenly into the mixture.  Turn into the pie dish and bake for about 40 minutes until golden brown.  You will find that the curdled mixture has separated into a lemon custard with a sponge top.  A self-saucing pudding.

It is well worth the effort making this one.  It does not last very long around here.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Oooh, this is a pudding I used to make and it is LOVELY. I used to do a chocolate version too, but Lord knows where the recipe is for that now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BB, It is one of my favourites. hadn't tried the chocolate version. Is this perchance the one you used to make
      https://mrsfenton.wordpress.com/2012/03/16/chocolate-surprise-pudding/

      xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts