Teasels and natures gifts

Are at this time of the year just losing their flowers of lilac or purple just leaving the teasel head which believe it or not is soft and not prickly.  On my foraging the other day I picked up about eight soft teasel heads with the idea of using them in an autumn garland for my dressers in the dining room, and indeed in dried decorations for Christmas such as wreaths and garlands.  Together with some Helichrysums (Straw flowers) they will make a lovely end of summer garland.  I have just bought some seeds (so none for me this year but next year will be different) and so I am hopeful that my local market stall will have them so that I can prepare my own garlands representing the seasons.  Together with different coloured paints I think they will look quite lovely.  Even for the Christmas versions.  I am very much hoping to collect enough to make my close friends a Christmas wreath each as well.

I had indeed forgotten I had collected them and then remembered last night and so whilst on a mini break from the kitchen (later on before dusk) I remembered and got them out.

I need the stems for the arrangements I am going to do but they have prickles on them and I have found that by running a sharp knife down the stems a couple of times it removes the sharp prickles.  I worked through them methodically doing this last night.  Its best to do this now whilst they are soft.  I now have one bunch ready and when I go out later in the week I shall collect more, prepare them the same way and then put them up until I have enough for my end of summer garland, an autumn garland and also my Christmas garland and several wreaths. I shall check out the market stall during the week as well for the Helichrysum.

My Nan always had Helichrysums in the garden together with Honesty and Chinese Lanterns.  She used them in her flower arranging at the Church along with loads of other flowers that she used to grow.

Honesty looks lovely in Christmas arrangements as in it's natural form it gives a silvery sheen to any decoration it is used in.

Whilst these are drying I shall start to acquire the spray paint colours that I need for the decorations as well.  I will certainly get them a bit at a time.

I am also collecting twigs, larch cones, acorns, fir cones. They can be turned into all sorts of different ornaments or arrangements for your holiday home, especially with the addition of twine or even if you have a grape vine and dry the vine for the basis of your own wreath or garland.  Something I am looking forward to having a go at.

 I think cow parsley once the heads are dried also look lovely especially if sprayed with paint and then set under a glass cloche on a table.  

Twigs, especially hawthorn twigs which are really nobbly look wonderful for a window display, with the aid of some spray paint as well.  A few years ago I saw a beautiful window display for a shop in Spalding, which had used the twigs, spray painted with fairy lights intertwined.  It looked really natural and really lovely.

I already have a half bag of fir cones which as I have said before I intend to turn into some firelighters, use in Christmas decorations and wreaths, and for popping on top of a fire.   I will have a lot more by the time I am finished. I already have a stash of cinnamon sticks and intend to dry orange peel in the coming weeks to add to the mix as well.

So despite being busy I am squirrelling away at different projects whether that be making stuff, putting up the tools or ingredients or gathering the other consumables needed.

I also have soap, bath bombs and candles to make.

That is despite contending with the garden and everything else that is going on at the moment.

Life in this household tends to be a multi-layered affair making sure that everything is in place for when I want to or need to tackle a particular project.  I have found the more I do the more I want to do in any event.

I am also thinking bulbs.  Bulbs in bowls for pressies as well.  Something that looks cheerful in a British Winter.  Something that brings a smile to your face.

Right must get on.  Still a load of things to do.

Catch you later on.

Pattypan xxx

Comments

Popular Posts