Antique Hunt

Well I have had a fantastic day with my partner in crime L today.  Weather forecast for the last day of the fair was rain by 1:00pm.  Fortunately we were able to have a good look at some of the outside tents first and then went into what are known as the sheep sheds.

I came away with a vintage pattypan tin (pastry tart tin) very similar to the picture below.  Mine is a nine pie tin and was bought for £3.  The reason really for me buying the tin was that it has an ivy leaf pattern in three of the tins and I thought that this would be ideal for mince pies at Christmas.




I saw lots of lovely things today.  A beautiful Cloisonne bowl, lots of lovely glass cake tins, a beautiful music box which played via copper disc that was over £1,000 but the sound was beautiful.  Dough cutter machines, lots of lovely French vintage linens, beautiful glasses, crystal decanters.  Lots of vintage kitchen equipment, lots of vintage 1930's vases.  There was a particularly nice set of china that I was taken by which was honeysuckle, violets, roses.  I shall look for that in the future as I was quite taken with it.  

This is the pattern that I quite fell for:



There were lots of lovely pieces of small furniture as well.  I am talking about a small Cadburys glass display case which would look wonderful in a kitchen, a couple of small book shelves, and a couple of small sets of miniature drawers.  

I found two sets of oyster plate sets a big central plate accompanied by 12 matching plates.  One was in a goldey yellow, the other in green and white.  I shall look out for these again in the future.  

The green ones were similar to this set however the central platter with the ones we saw today was massive.




I also saw a large stone crock with a metal lid with holes in.  When I looked further it was a large bread dough prover.  It ws a lovely piece however one of the edges was broken which is a shame.

I have grown up with stories of my great grandparent's bakery which used to be in Ecclesall Bierlow in Sheffield.  My grandmother used to recount stories to my mum and her siblings about having to get up early to clean out all the pancheons after the dough had been proved and the bread made these being rather large bowls.  I never knew what they were until quite recently.  Today we saw several at the fair which were not OTT on the price.  So for future fairs I shall keep a sharp eye out for any kind of Kitchenalia.  The ones we saw today were in extremely good condition and would make a fantastic mixing bowl for modern day use and were similar to these.


I am after one of these as I think it would be ideal in which to mix together all my ingredients for home made mincemeat before leaving it to ferment in one of my Rumptopfs.

After I got home we then went round to my step-daughter's as her younger son had his birthday today.  We had a nice time but during that time my step-daughter asked if I would show her how to sew, crochet and patchwork as well as basic knitting.  The patchwork I am still learning myself so what I learn I will pass on to her and maybe that will reinforce it with me a little more.  So that is also going to be incorporated somewhere along the line.  She quite likes the idea of making some crochet throws for her front room.  One of the ladies at work also wants to learn how to crochet.  So it looks as though I am going to be busy.

Right am off to potter.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. My mum had one of those ivy/plain/shell pattern tins. I've never seen another one like it. What a lovely find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela, it is a lovely tin; so much so I am looking for another one. Shall have to keep my eyes peeled either another nine pie one or a twelve pie one. I was quite chuffed to have found it as it was found in one of the outdoor stores by rootling around. I do enjoy a good rootle! I had seen a couple in a couple of old books but had never seen one in person until the weekend. I like unusual things. Hope you are feeling much better than you were. Take care Tricia xx

      Delete
  2. I have one here which was my mum's and I use it for mince pies at Christmas. The pancheon is common in Wales, and they were used for bread, or in the dairy. I used to have one on the hearth and would like another when we move. We can pick them up at reasonable prices at car boots and auctions round here.

    It sounds like you found some lovely items. There is a stand which is always at Builth, which focuses on purely Kitchenalia but some of their items are really quite pricey. They had a very plain ordinary ceramic dish I lusted after because it was stamped with Maypole Dairy, and my grandad worked for them in Barnstaple and then in Frome.

    Glad you had a good time (but again, check out local auctions as you will get things at a fraction of the Fair price!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BB, Great minds think alike I bought the pan because I thought "Christmas". I have some of my mum's old pattypans which are in regular use. She used them so although it is a daft thing she used them on a regular basis so it kind of links her still if you know what I mean. I would love a couple of Pancheons. I would love to get to the auctions as I love these as well. However I cannot get easily. I know they are cheaper there but OH is not keen on me going and my friend is not into auctions at the moment. Whether I will be able to persuade her later on or not I do not know. Keep your fingers and toes crossed and plaited for me. I would ask you to source it for me but it is quite a hefty item and I would be worried about postage and it arriving intact. Our local delivery men/women are not too careful and they have been known to chuck stuff over the fence!!! There were a couple of really good household ones one French and the other English (but very pricey). She was not on the web and only does this fair twice a year. Had some lovely confectionary moulds and butter moulds that were pristine but they were priced for the butter moulds £25 to £60. The confectionary moulds which included a row of soldiers was also over £60 but it was interesting to see. I first got interested in kitchenalia through my now (deceased) sister in law who used to take me to the car boots. She had a very large antique milk pail that was hand-painted which she had on a dresser at home and lots of other lovely bits. I had not seen anything like it at that stage so it is thanks to her really that I got the bug! I can understand you "lusting" after something, especially when it has a family connection as that just reinforces the bond all the more. I had planned on spending two days there on the Friday and the Saturday - it is too much really for one day and we were both absolutely shattered when we got home, however my new employers wanted me in a week before I wanted to start so something had to give. Might have to persuade OH to come to Wales for a holiday at some point. Something to bear in mind. We have not had a holiday for sometime and he has been muttering a little about one. So shall see what materialises. Hope you are keeping well. Take care Tricia xx

      Delete
  3. Patty I hope you finally get my comment. I have been trying to comment for ages but couldn't get it to work. Still love reading your blog love fluffy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fluffy, yes received message lovely to hear from you I wondered where you had got to. Hope you and yours are keeping well. Thank you for your lovely comments. Take care sweetie Tricia xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts