Christmas cooking

Will commence this weekend.  I intend to get some of the Christmas puddings out of the way and done with and also some of the Christmas cakes.  I have five cakes and five puddings to make. I had intended making them before. I love making things like this so it is never a chore.  I also intend to get some mincemeat on the go as well.  I am very behind on doing things due to one thing or another so now I really must get to grips and play catch up.  Mustard is also on the cards.

Some much needed therapy time in the kitchen is required cooking, preserving and dreaming.  Dreaming with a wooden spoon in my hand, gently stirring the contents of a simmering pan, being somewhat of an alchemist and turning fruit, vinegar and sugar or fruit and sugar into something tempting for the pantry shelf.

I was supposed to have been going out with a friend tomorrow night but it has been rearranged to another time.  Tomorrow I am at home as I have to work Saturday.  Tomorrow is my day off in lieu.  OH and I have a hot date with the shed.  It needs a new roof, and the whole shed needs stripping out and tidying.  The freezers need to be sorted too.  It will be work well done but there is a lot to do in there to bring it back up to scratch.  Once that is out the way I can get the freezers back on and then I can start stock-piling the freezers again which will be a good thing in the greater scheme of things.

Part of that includes freezing home made goods such as sausage rolls, mince pies, coconut cheesecakes etc. so that they can be frozen raw and cooked fresh as they are required.  Part of it will be for regular use but initially a lot of it will be required for the Christmas stash.

Once the shed is up and running properly again, I can then tackle the pantry and get that sorted out and painted out and ultimately re-stocked.

I also want to decorate the dining room out.  I am thinking an anaglypta style wallpaper and paint it in a very pale green. Thought that this colourway might be a good choice for this room as it is a perfect foil for Christmas decorations as well as other decorations during the year i.e. Easter, birthday celebrations, Spring, Summer and Autumn.  Especially with the pine furniture I have which does need stripping down. I do have my Country Diary Wallpaper but I am choosing not to use it here.  I think the anaglypta will be a more practical choice for this room.  Will see what happens.  I also need to sort out the fireside cupboard and also under the stairs as they both need decorating out as well.

We also have the loft to board out.  I suspect that will be the next job after the shed and freezers are sorted out as I need to get the Christmas decorations out of the way and safely out of the way.  Once they are sorted I can get stuck in elsewhere.  It will be good to restore some order to this household somewhere down the line but it is going to take an awful lot of hard work.

We intend going to the butchers tomorrow in any event to stock up on our favourite chipolatas.

Right am off to get tucked up and get warm under the quilt.  Someone who does not usually bother with my quilts is safely tucked up under it at the moment fast asleep and it looks as though I am going to have to wrangle it off of him!  This is from the person who cannot stand being warm.

Catch you soon.

Patttypan

x

Comments

  1. Thanks for reminding me I haven't made my mincemeat yet. Will get cracking on that today as I have LOTS of windfalls this year. I could do a Pear mincemeat too as I have SO many of those - first proper harvest from that tree.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts