Countdown to Christmas 2019 - 86 Days to Christmas - Christmas Decorations - Recycled/Revamped Christmas Stocking


Do you have a hand knitted jumper hanging around in the cupboard or drawers; one that you cannot let go because it reminds you either of a family member i.e. that it is something that they made for you.  I have a couple of such jumpers lurking that I cannot bear to let go as my dear mum made them for me.  They are also too big for me now and yet because she handled them, because she made them with much love I don't want to part with them.

I found this super post from Diane at an extraordinary day.net.





Here is a lovely way of recycling them and creating a memory heirloom that can potentially be passed on through the family.  Loved ones are never far from us especially if their memory is celebrated and perpetuated it gives them life even though we cannot physically hug them and memories and stories that can be passed on to a new generation; as even though the youngsters may not have known their family members they are still loved enough to pass on memories and tales of what they got up to in real life.  What better time to celebrate family than at Christmas.  It is a way of continuing the line.  It is certainly the way our family always operated.

Even if that is not the case and you want to provide some members of the family with their own personalised stockings you can always purchase second hand jumpers from a charity shop and create your own little bit of Christmas.

Much is made of memory quilts, but what of the hand knitted goodies.  One of the latest memory presents is to turn a loved one's shirt into a memory cushion so why not a jumper.




Once you have your stocking made, then you know just how much space you have to collect or make little bits of this and that to fill the same with.  Now that would be a really lovely present for a loved one.  It is also a way of making the most of what is available to us and recycling something that may otherwise have ended up residing in a drawer when it can be loved and cherished at this most important time of the year a time when family should be together.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x



Comments

  1. PattyPan- I read this early this morning, before going into town for a haircut. I have a VERY old Christmas sweater, from the USA, which a friend passed onto me in 2004. After the haircut, I went into the CS - and there was the loveliest Xmas Sweater for just £4 [from Next, beautiful quality, fits well] So I treated myself to that and will work out how to repurpose my old one as a stocking. It may prove a challenge, as it has large motifs - but thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased Angela, memories are precious and give comfort when we are a little low. Glad I was able to help. If not a stocking a cushion cover. Take care Tricia xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts