Delia's Classic Christmas Part 1






Thought this might get you all in the mood for Christmas.  This is not the original series but the revamp of it.  Would love to get hold of the original series as I have the original book that I  use year in year out religiously.  Strangely I never bought the revamped updated book.

Getting everyone in the mood for Christmas in this household is a necessary thing.  I am absolutely nuts about Christmas but about making it special rather than going OTT and subscribing to getting into debt to celebrate Christmas.  We learned many years ago that it was a false economy and we gradually got out of that catch 22 situation and have not for many years paid out on credit cards.  Last year was a particularly tight Christmas but it was Christmas none the less.  We did not buy each other presents but the special food we bought was our present to each other not that we went OTT as we did not.  This year will be no different.  However, next year Christmas WILL start for us on January 1st as I will start making stuff for next Christmas and I already have a few ideas to make stuff for a Christmas Fair next year whether that will be cooked items or sewn items.

I am aiming to get the freezers on again in the next few weeks and I shall make up a load of sausage rolls, mince pies etc. for the freezers' if necessary slipping in a batch here and there so that I have a "stock" of uncooked baked goods that can be cooked from frozen and enjoyed at their best.  For me it makes sense to do this as it means that my time limitations will be used in my favour and my time maximised.  So if basic stuff is out of the way with it gives me more time to play.

What gets you in the mood for Christmas?

Right must dash.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. I'm sitting in my Southern Colorado US kitchen - a warm, dry day outside. I started Delia' video and was instantly transported to such a lovely place. We'll be living in our RV (caravan) during December and I've been wondering how to do some cooking that will feel like Christmas with a very small oven and limited fridge space.I think a nice piece of gammon (ham here) on Christmas eve will be good, along with some for of cooked potato. We always had oyster stew on Christmas Eve (a tradition from my homesteadiing greatgrandmother from Scotland). It isn't a favorite of mine so I generally make potato soup around Christmas to have it on hand. For Christmas Day we have roast beef of some sort and I am thinking that the Cumberland Sauce will be easy and unusual (and a great change from the dreaded jellied cranberry sauce from a can). My father made a fruit cake that is very similar to a pudding. He slow baked them rather than steamed and then doused with good liquor and stored for months. They were actually good - fruit cake is an ongoing joke here in the US as there are commercial fruit cakes in tins everywhere. They tend to be truly awful - hard and filled with far too much candied fruit. But I am thinking of making some sort of tarts with homemade mincemeat or if I can find it, good British jarred mincemeat. I do look for and keep on hand British mustard and jellies to have at the holidays. And Christmas Crackers are available here - always have those. Usually each year I am introducing people to this tradition. I think it is a great ice breaker and something children like to do. Mary

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts