Country Mincemeat

I was first introduced to this recipe by my friend Jennie (also known as Bovey Belle) who has her own blogspot at Codlins&Cream2. I believe the recipe came from "Farmhouse Fare"ISBN 0- 600 33509 7 and the recipe submitted from a Miss Elsie G Cook of Oxfordshire. Its the best Mincemeat Recipe I have ever made. I had made Delia's before this, which wasn't too bad but this is moist and flavoursome and in my opinion far superior a proper moist mincemeat and it doesn't have suet.  Has lots of other goodies but no suet.

"For mincemeat I choose a large brown crock and into it I put sweet dessert apples, windfalls or faulty - chopped up with spices and usually Demerara sugar; but this year it has had to be honey. I add to it more apples, currants, sultanas or raisins or any nice things available including finely chopped orange and lemon peel and the kernels of stone fruits I have saved. A little later on a few quinces improve it, also a little home made wine and I continue adding to it until the whole jar is full.

This proves a good winter standby usually lasting until Easter by which time it has acquired a nice winey taste. If it gets rather thin at the bottom of the jar, a few cake crumbs breadcrumbs or a little flour can be added like Banbury cakes if this winey flavour is not liked. When all the ingredients are mixed the mincemeat can be put into kilner jars sterilised and sealed."

You literally can put any little additions in as you come across them.  It makes a very moist mincemeat that is full of flavour.

I use a Rumptopf pot to cure my Mincemeat in or an old glazed bread crock.  One thing I do on a daily basis though is to stir the mincemeat and keep it going every day until the juices have run nicely and the ingredients have mixed in well together.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts