Ice Cube Trays Economy and Eco

Yesterday I took some time out.  I did some work but then downed tools and did a little reading this time of some books I own and also some research into materials.  Those books have made me think and reconsider some of the ways I actually do things.  I personally learn so much by reading of how other people approach things as it helps refine your own techniques in processing ingredients or cooking something.

I am keen to get "greener" on cleaning materials and also more eco friendly in respect of trying to waste even less than I do so now.  However, this particular post is more orientated to food items that can be very useful if saved.

In respect of food waste have come up with some more ideas on what to do with little bits and bobs of food, which once built up I think could be incredibly useful in my kitchen. The idea is simply to freeze little bits and bobs in ice cube trays using oil or water. You can use different oils and also fizzy water.

I love pretty ice cubes in any event.  When the violets and the strawberry flowers are out I freeze some of these in water, any edible flower can be frozen this way.  Lilac, primroses, elderflowers, rose petals are also suitable. I also freeze lemon, lime and orange slices.   When I am on form for Christmas I create ice bowls or wine containers using water and foliage from late summer.  I use berries, flowers, foliage etc. for these but as they are not going to be eaten and are only holders, I am not as careful with these.   It adds extra colour and interest to a Christmas table. However as ice cubes go into your drink the contents need to be edible.

I have a stack of ice cube trays in the cupboard and it is time to get them working again and in use, freeing up more space in my cupboards. Having some fresh fruit ice cubes to add to drinks in the summer months seriously appeals to me. Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries any soft fruit are all doable.  You can also add little tiny sprigs of mint which would go seriously well with a Pimms or two, of which I happen to be partial to. Would also be lovely in fresh fruit juice or home made lemonade or in a jug of water.  Alternatively you can whizz up the fruit and puree it in a food processor, freeze in the ice cube trays and then once frozen add a couple of cubes or so to a glass of soda water. 

In respect of herbs the oil comes into play. Fill your trays up with your chosen single herb or mixed herbs and then fill with light olive oil on a ratio of one part herb three parts oil and freeze.  Will give you lovely flavoured oil for cooking with.  You just tip into the cooking pan from frozen.

You can in respect of the herbs also make herb butters with any left over herbs; yet again into ice cube trays and freeze.  Ideal for making garlic butter for garlic bread and serving individual portions of flavoured butter with seafood and also with steak.

If you have any leftover coffee in your Cafietiere, pour into your ice cube tray and then freeze as normal.  Fill a glass full of milk and then add some cubes, put whipped cream on top and you have an iced coffee.  Now that is refreshing on a hot summers day.

You can also freeze left over wine in this manner so that you can add extra oompf to that gravy or sauce. I already deal with various stocks in this way.

Such simple ideas, but ones with far reaching rewards which also helps you squeeze extra pennies out of left-overs.  This gives you something available and ready for when you need it, just for a little extra effort here and there.  Small amounts are worth freezing as they build up.  Just remember to make sure that the tray is labelled up with contents and try and keep like with like.  It helps keep stuff out of landfill as well.

Its a simple way of Waste Not, Want Not which all helps the purse strings and provides some nice treats along the way as well.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. The coffee ice cubes for iced coffee in summer is a genius idea. My husband makes a cafetière every morning and only has a mug full. I will try that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts