Mixed Berries, A Leg of Lamb, and a Mixed Fruit Strudel

This is not an advertisement but me passing on information of bargains as I come across them.

I love fresh fruit, especially mixed berries. During the summer months we eat a lot.  However come this time of the year, the prices go up even more and if you have a restricted budget, things get left out of the diet as a result.  That's when I go to the freezer section of a shop and see what they have available there.  At the moment the Co-Op have 500g of mixed berries for about £2.25, and at this time of year can easily use them up for breakfast with pancakes or indeed in a breakfast pot or in a pudding such as apple and mixed berry sponge served with lots of custard.  Equally if you bought a couple of bags (approx. 1kg) together with 1kg of sugar you can turn it into jam for the pantry shelf.  Now that would go with a lot of Croissants, or equally in cakes or home made pastries.  So there really is quite a bit you can do with these.  Or you can even put them into a liquidiser with some milk and yogurt and make a milk shake.  Yummy!

I had to go to Waitrose this morning for some bits.  Whilst in there I had a good look around.  I bought a lovely bacon from here earlier in the week for £1.74 per packet but I had not gone in for that.  Whilst there I had a good look at the fresh meat.  I was looking at lamb and beef joints in particular.  However for a small joint at over £20 that was just not going to happen and one piece of beef I liked the look of was over £50!  So I gave up on the idea of a piece of fresh meat.

A lot of people consider Waitrose dear and do not bother to go in to have a look - however the quality of the food is good.  I always have a good look around as every so often you do find real bargains. Tinned plum tomatoes Cirio make and also Branston Baked Beans in packs of four are regularly on offer.

Today I was checking out the freezer sections when I came across a mixed berry Strudel - the large ones at £1.25 each.  So one of those has come home with me so that we can indulge in a pudding one night.  We both like custard in any event.

However the real bargain for me was finding a whole leg of lamb in the freezer section for £10.66.  It is New Zealand lamb and so I have bought one of those home as it is a while since we have had lamb for dinner.  I shall cook it with garlic and any leftovers will be turned into Posh Shepherds pie https://tarragonnthyme.blogspot.com/2018/11/re-chauffe-posh-shepherds-pie.html  

I also grabbed a bag of Waitrose's own petit pois as well which are as good as Birds Eye.  So tomorrow I am very much looking forward to my Sunday dinner.

The moral really is to not forget to check out the freezers of your local store as well as often if there is not a bargain on with fresh stuff there may well be a really good deal going on in the freezers.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. I tend to use frozen mixed fruits in breakfast yogurt, never thought about using them for jam - sometimes the obvious just passes you by. Thank you for the idea. I'm veggie, but OH loves his meat and finds Lidl really good for meat. He bought a piece of beef yesterday, a bit pricey at £9 but he has two or three 'steaks' from it plus a roasting joint which will do quite a few meals plus sandwiches for work etc. The pork joints are good value - again OH will cut 'steaks' off and then use the rest as a roasting joint. Don't see British lamb very often, unless in a farm shop. Always New Zealand. Never can get my head around that, where do all our UK sheep go? Great post as always. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts