New Year Charity Shop Finds

I had to go into town today and walked in.  On the way down there I went into my local charity shop, the first time this year and I came away with a linen chairback cover for 50p and a crochet mat for 30p.  Last of the big spenders me.  I coughed up £1 and gave the extra 20p to the pot.

The linen chairback cover I had initially bought for the fabric, which I have been buying for quite some time as I have a very large embroidered tablecloth project I want to make and the pattern uses new linen, but I have chosen to recycle the linen from the chair back covers for my version. I nearly have all the linen together but I have enough so far to make great in-roads into it.  I do however have to source some more linen lace for it.

Unfortunately at this point in time I do not have access to a camera so cannot show you what I have managed to find.

When I got my purchases home I had a closer look at the linen chairback cover (antimacassar) and the lace on it is lovely.  So much so I think that this particular piece is going to be recycled into a nightdress case for my bed with a little bit of embroidery added to accent it as well.  A future project.  If I find anymore might make some as presents as well.

I love crochet items and I also found a simple cream mat as well.  This could be recycled into something else or just used simply on its own.

Whilst in town I called into the British Heart Foundation and also the Oxfam shop.  Both had hardly anything in, but on the way back home I called into Age UK and found a treasure trove of items for the princely sum of 16.

First find was six green glass tall cordial/vinegar bottles.  Brand new.  No closures but that can be sorted packed in sets of two at £1.39 for two, I took what was on the shelf i.e. six bottles.  They will come in very useful with my preserving plans.

Next to them on the shelf were six smaller sized bottles, again packed in two's for the princely sum of £0.99 for the two.  So they have also found their way home with me.

I then struck gold - well I think I did.  I have spoken of my mother having a large blue and white roasting platter that she used to fill on Christmas Eve with lots of home made pastries.  One of my earliest memories of Christmas traditions from when I was tiny.  I have had it in my mind's eye to source similar platters (probably x 2 as our blended family has a lot more members to it) for some time and indeed it is on my track-down list of items for this year.  Today I found a large flower decorated pink roasting dish for £1.99.  It is the same size as my mother's roasting dish - yes I know it is not blue and white, but it will go very nicely with my best rose china dinner service.  It is not the same pattern but it will blend very nicely and at £1.99 even if it ends up as a sandwich plate I am not going to lose anything over it.

I also found a pale green platter as well for £0.99.

I then located a vintage lazy Susan the same one as my mother had and which I inherited.  Unfortunately I managed to break a couple of the dishes on my mum's version and I am hoping to manage to source these at some point, but for the best part I do have the bulk of it and still have the turntable as well.  That was slightly pricier at £3.99 and will be ideal for serving hors d'ouvres or other bits and bobs at a party and especially at Christmas.

The last item is a square pyrex flan dish which will go very nicely with one I already have.

So despite going out into town with the intention of just to have a look, serendipity seems to have intervened and pointed me to items that were on  my wish list but without having to pay through the nose for them.

A very satisfying afternoon.

However it did not stop there.  I went into Lakeland but that deserves a post all of its own.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x




Comments

Popular Posts