Quiet Monday and Plans for later in the week

It has been a quiet day here.  OH had an external appointment and I was late up.  I have not been firing on all cylinders just one of those days and so I have done some reading and just rested. Cannot be tickety boo all the time more's the pity. Sometimes the peace and quiet can restore the body and the soul. Fingers crossed I will be a little brighter tomorrow.  OH has made me rest in any event and Missy has wedged herself next to me on the sofa and will not let me budge.  However the resting does not stop me planning, just gives me more time to plan and plot.



We had chicken and potatoes, sprouting broccoli, carrots, mixed veg for tea with lots of gravy. OH did the cooking but when it comes to the gravy he admits defeat.  That was the only bit he let me do.  I tend to be old fashioned in that I use meat juices, veggie juices, redcurrant jelly, and chicken or beef stock to make gravy (as well as water and/or stock), sometimes dried herbs, white pepper and arrowroot for thickening.  When OH makes gravy he does not add a lot of the little bits that I do.

If this fatigue ever goes there are some preserving jobs I want to do as soon as I can.  Simple preserving stuff which I find very useful.

I need to make a batch of the Souper mix vegetable stock for adding some more flavour to stocks and gravy.  You can also drink it hot which is quite tasty especially on a cold winter's day.  It is a Pam Corbin recipe from the River Cottage Preserves book.  A preserve book that I use frequently.  It is well worth the investment if you do not as yet have a copy especially for beginners.

I also need to make some burnt onions, which I also use for gravy. It is an old recipe but it does help give a lot of flavour to stews, soups and gravies.

Mustard is also on the list.  I have found an old recipe for a form of Tewksbury Mustard which is not stored in a jar but in the form of a ball which is dried and to use you just break a segment off the ball and mix it with some vinegar or Verjuice.  The original recipe apparently came to this country with the Romans who used it with everything.   So I am looking forward to playing with something a little new.  It might not work out but it is good to play and you never know it might prove an interesting addition to my Christmas hampers that I am planning on.

I also have the remnants of a net of onions which are starting to sprout.  Rather than waste them I am going to make some onion and garlic marmalade.  It is not a long keeper but it is delicious so it is best made in small amounts.  Another time if I have anymore in the same state I will probably make some red onion chutney or relish.  I try not to waste anything.

I am also out of seed mustard.  I have been making this for a few years now and I always keep a good stock of seeds in house.  Therefore I also have some wholegrain mustard with beer and also some smooth mustard to make as well.  Mustard is very good for pepping up recipes.  I like it with roast beef.  I also like horseradish and I tend to be a little uncouth and put a little of each on my plate.  But each to their own!

I also have a recipe for Mostarda de Frutta which I have not tried.  This is like a mustard pickle made with dried fruits. I think this would go beautifully with some home roasted ham. Yet again if the testing goes well and I like it, I will make some of this for Christmas hampers again.

If the Seville Oranges turn up this week I also want to make some Seville Orange curd.  Now that I think could be extremely useful for the pantry together with some Grapefruit curd and since I found the recipe for the lemon curd syllabub, I think you could use any flavoured home made curd for this recipe.

One thing I do need to get started again though is my big jars of lemon and orange vinegar which I use in the cleaning.  I have just used my last drop and as it is an excellent degreaser and makes everything fresh and is non-toxic  I really do need to get a wriggle on with that.

Right I am off to bed (I am absolutely shattered) an early night for me tonight 10:00am.  

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts