Research

It has been cold again here today and I have had another quiet day here although I am still not firing on all cylinders and I have toothache to boot.  Not a good combination. 

I have therefore taken the opportunity to do some research and please myself for a change.  I have located a few new to me recipes along the way which I hope to try out in the forthcoming weeks. Some of them preserving and some of them ideas to use up certain preserves  or ingredients etc. and some of them main meal recipes.  A lot of them are preserve based but that is primarily because I am keen to get the Pantry well on the way to being restocked.  With a lot of projects initially, I try and use what I have in-house but sometimes that is not possible and that is when I have to buy in.

It is not only on the cooking front that I have been doing research.  I love my crafting when I can get to it and there are a lot of projects I have earmarked to do for the future as well as a lot of UFOs.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that my table is sorted soon so that I can then really get stuck in and produce those items for my home which I can make and save myself a lot of pennies in the long run.

My mum was a constant knitter and when she was not knitting she would be sewing for us as well as the house.  Every so often she would  get thrifty and over the years from when we were small using dad's old cotton vests as dusters and turning ripped bedlinen either into new pillowcases or ironing board covers; and of course there was always the rag bag for my dad to use.  He was an engineer and the rags proved very useful for wiping his hands over the years.

Clothes were mended and if a collar had worn through on a shirt it was frequently taken to pieces and the collars reversed to get more wear out of the shirt.  There was also the process of mending holes in socks by darning.  As clothing was expensive much care was taken in keeping it going.  It was a way of life which seems so far away from what we actually do today.  Not only that good clothing that still had a lot of life left in it used to be passed between family members so that as much use could be gained out of the clothing as possible which also saved pennies.

I have kept back in my stash some damaged fabric back with a view to making some items from it for the house; i.e. I will cut out and use the decent fabric and the rest will go in the scrap bag. 

I am still keen to get away from plastic covers and in any event I want to make up a set of bowl covers out of the scrap bag fabric.  I also want to get some potato and bread bags made up.  I have some hessian for the potato bag (my full sack of potatoes will be transferred into this to allow the taties to breathe) and calico for the bread bags.  I also intend to turn some of the prettier fabric in the scrap bag into beeswax covers as well.  Most of the fabric is cotton or calico. I have beeswax bars in house in event with which to do this.  I also have some more beeswax polish to make.

I also need to make pot holders for the kitchen and covers for some of my kitchen appliances.   I want to try and match these up if I can.  So lots of plans and ideas.  Hopefully I can set too soon.  However the time for researching has been very valuable.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts