Scratch tea for supper

Oh returned to work today and I overslept - not a good thing as I end up slightly not firing on all pistons.  I have started writing a couple of posts for a future event and got carried away not realising what the time was and before I knew it OH had returned.

I had picked up a reduced piece of pork the other day for just over £5 a piece of loin which had been reduced from about £10.99 so I decided to cook that up with the idea that we could have that for tea and anything left over could possibly go for cold cuts and something or be used up in sandwiches with liberal amounts of apple sauce.  I asked OH what he wanted to accompany the piece of pork and suggested veggies but for once he did not seem too keen. I offered roasties - he turned me down - he never turns me down for roasties.  In the end I came up with home made chips and coleslaw and/or some chutney if he wanted it.  Does not sound too inspiring on paper but in reality it has gone down very nicely and was quite tasty.  I also served it with bread and butter (white for himself and brown for me)!  He is now as we speak chomping away on the crackling.

That is another meal done and dusted.

Tomorrow it will either be cottage pie or Lasagna.  There are also two packs of lamb steaks which I might cook up for Sunday lunch.

I will probably get the soup kettle on the go tomorrow and do a mixed veggie soup with some of the veggies I have inhouse.  I will need to re-stock in any event with veg but I hate wasting stuff so soup I can drag out of the fridge and just pop on is ideal in my book whilst I am at home. A cheap and nourishing meal and all the better if I end up not wasting anything. 

It has not been particularly warm here today so soup will do no harm at all.  I also have some pumpkin and squash to use up as well.  The veg shop has been closed for the holiday but is due to re-open tomorrow so I will check out what they have to offer sometime during the day.  I have some Stilton to use up as well so am possibly thinking Stilton and Broccoli soup may be on the cards as well.  If it is ready to go in the fridge it will soon get used up.  We love our veggies here.

Right upwards and onwards.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. I made left over veg soup for the first time ever and was surprised that it was nice (not sure why!) though it was very dark so it does look off putting. We will be having it for lunches at work, amongst other things, during the next 2 cold months. Thanks for the inspiration, I'm going to add roast pork and chips to our menu plan on cheat night :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy, My Nan was a great soup maker and often the left overs from Sunday lunch were the basis of the next batch of stew, the roasties, the left over veg and the gravy were all added. Home made soups are a lot darker but they are so much more full of nourishment and a great padder outer and filler for hungry stomachs. Half the time it is learning to rely on the natural flavour of the veggies or ingredients being used and finding what works for your family's palate. As I have mentioned before I do use a lot of white pepper when I cook I prefer it to black pepper. I find that the simplest ways of cooking are often the best learning to use what you have rather than over egging and adding all sorts of extra bits that there is no need for. Roast meat left overs and chips or Bubble and Squeak used to be a Monday night regular meal for us when we were growing up a meal to use up good meat which was quick and nourishing. Monday always used to be wash day when we were little and after being busy with the laundry for the best part of the day mum was just pleased to provide something quick and nourishing after a heavy work load. It is the same that today most of us need a minimum of three veg on the plate but that also is not strictly necessary. Often when I make a stew or a casserole I just serve mashed potato as a side or indeed make a large Yorkshire individual sponge cake pan sized Yorkshire and then fill it with stew and.or casserole and then the mash. You can of course always use it as a dish to add all your veg, meat and potatoes. Yorkshire pudding is a good filler as well. I like any cold ones that are left over smeared with butter and some nice jam. So it is always worth making a few more here and there. Even if it is only for the littlies! Take care sweetie and Happy New Year to you and yours Tricia xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts