Starting a Christmas Cushion Collection

Officially I started my cushion collection in 2018.  However to date I have not used those cushion covers which were originally sourced off the internet. I was not totally convinced they were what I was after, the quality did not feel right but they were cheap printed panels which was affordable to me at the time.  Anyway I have completely gone off them. 

So after many years of looking at and wishing to be in a position to be able to buy cushion covers like the ones M & S produce and to start a new tradition and collection in this household, at Christmas 2019 I was able to start off this new tradition.  I was able to source four Christmas cushions which were to  my liking.  Three of them came from M & S and the fourth one comes from Wilkinsons.  These four are top of the range and were not cheap.  The new ones are totally different; really good fabrics and the quality of them is superb.  I am hopeful to add to them in year's to come either by purchasing the odd cushion here or there that takes my fancy or by making my own. I have the embroidery machine available to use and so I may well start researching patterns and actually adding to the collection in the New Year. There are also some techniques I need to look into in this respect as well, but if this turns out as I hope it will it is going to give me more options.  Options mean manouvreability. or "wriggle room" as I prefer to call it.  Here are three of the cushions.  The other one which has gone missing has "Joy" on it.

I also have quite a lot of cross stitch and needlepoint charts that I have collected over the years to set to from scratch if need be.  Then of course I/you always have the option of buying them pre-made if necessary from Ebay or charity shops.  With a bit of imagination, a cross stitch festive scene can soon be turned into a Christmas cushion as can an advent calendar.  Someone else's discard becomes your very own treasure. something unique for your home.  Even more collectable, especially if it has a Santa Claus on it or something seasonal that can be reinvented and find a place in your home and your family's Christmas traditions. It allows the littlies to enjoy and also the inner child of the adults to come out to play too.

I suppose that my take on Christmas borders between traditional Victorian and Country styles with a bit of glitz here and there and eclectic at times. I like to mix and match things.

These are the cushions I have to date.





 

I would like a few more though.

My intention for these cushions is to put them away after Christmas each year and keep them clean in deep boxes so that I can get the best out of them each year that they are brought out.  On retrieving them each year they will go into the tumble drier for a short period of time to dust them and also plump up the feather pads inside them.  This works for feather cushion pads and also for feather pillows and duvets throughout the year.

I also have collections for Valentines Day, Easter, Spring and Autumn as well as Christmas being the biggest range of items to store.  There are also of course different items that can be inter-mingled with the different seasons and are just not one season appropriate, take the imitation Fly Agaric ornaments I bought just recently.






I do have a Christmas cushion make on the go for this year though and have been quietly working this inbetween crocheting my blanket.  More on that at a later date. It involves calico, red embroidery thread, inspiration from a patchwork project and a little time and effort.  I may also make a second cushion in this pattern as I love it so much.  Will probably just finish it slightly differently.  Making heirlooms for tomorrow if you like.  That is the bit that most appeals to me, the making the doing, the sewing, crafting and dreaming.  I have also been inspired for some autumn decorations for next year as well, but that is a separate matter altogether.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Hi, Your cushions are lovely.
    Really looking forward to seeing what you are making as I am thinking of doing some Christmas cushions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H Kathy

      I saw a pattern in Today's Quilter Magazine (in the supplement) for a wreath worked in redwork embroidery by Mandy Shaw entitled "What a Hoopla". It has Santa and his reindeer with a little village embroidered all over and Twas the Night Before Christmas embroidered in red thread. The design is worked in backstitch and I would say is ideal for someone who is new to embroidery to work. I think you could enlarge the design if you wanted to on the computer as well (just for your own use). This is not my pattern. I thought I might work two versions of this cushion, but both finished slightly differently so they are individuals rather than the same. I am thinking of adding an image in the middle as well. I have calico and red embroidery thread inhouse but I did not have the finishing embroidery frames which is why I have opted to turn it into cushions. Take care and I hope this helps Tricia x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts