The Roasted Peanut Jar

At my grandparent's home used to sit beside the fire in a simple lidded jar (a recycled Horlicks jar) which was unassuming and inconspicuous.  My grandfather was a skilled Fitter/Engineer in real life but in personality he was simple soul in that he did not crave attention or indeed like too much fuss.  I think I take after him in that respect.  My grandparent's were honest country folk who worked hard all of their lives.  They were land rich but cash poor and had to grow the majority of their food on the land which they cared for but they were oh so very rich in many other ways.

A trip to the market in Lincoln took place every Saturday to top up on those items they could not make or produce themselves.  One of the treats that my "Pop" used to allow himself was a quarter of salted peanuts which were wood smoked and off one of the market stalls.  They used to be decanted into a white paper bag and when he used to get home he used to decant them into the plain glass jar.  Sitting in the fire hearth next to the heat from the fire the nuts used to release their oils and somehow taste very different to any other nuts.  The nuts were Pop's domain and if you were offered any it was a big treat and my brother and I really used to love them. However since Pop passed I have had difficulty in tracing any nuts that come anywhere near Pops and I have tried all sorts.  However I knew that the magic always took place in the jar!

This last Christmas I for the first time bought Aldi's own salted nuts for the first time. I am not sure whether they were just available for Christmas but I bought a couple of small bags in any event.  They were not expensive. They are the closest I have found to those like my granddad had yet.  The nuts are small and sweet and not over-salted.  As far as I am concerned just perfect and what is more I think that they will make a super peanut butter.

I am hopeful that I will be able to source these again shortly as has it not only provided something that I very much like but it has also restored a family tradition.  "Pop's Roasted Peanut Jar"!

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. The jar was long gone, but I have my own replacement for it. Such lovely simple times I grew up in but oh so many lovely memories. Take care Tricia x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts