Waste Not Want Not

When I go shopping I always have a mind as to what I can get out of the ingredients I have or which I am about to buy so that I can get the maximum amount of meals out of them, even the left overs.

I have another chicken to cook; I already have one chicken carcass and the other one will join it to make a good batch of chicken stock for soup during the week and some of the stock will also be frozen to be used at a future date. Think lush food stews and any flavour soup you want to make. 

I have also just been and bought a small piece of brisket. Any left overs (if there are enough) could well go to another hot meal in this weather [it is perishing here in Peterborough at the time of typing this], initially, and then a beef stir fry or even sandwiches.  My mum used to mince any left over beef in a gravy and then serve that as the "meat" to go with veggies which used to stretch what she had available to her. 

The left over meat from the chicken can also go into a stew. Chicken stew is something my mum also used to make out of the leftovers but that is really tasty. I have carrot, leek, celery, parsnip, swede, onions, potatoes and Turnip already in house - therefore, all the ingredients for soups or stew. 

Today I have also bought the first batch of purple sprouting broccoli.  This is a very seasonal veg, one I have been brought up to (and which my grandparents used to grow). It is also a great favourite and also very good for you.  I will initially serve it plainly steamed with a dash of butter and serve it with a roast dinner; the simplest way of serving this.  There is enough for about three meals. As I have some Stilton cheese left over from Christmas in the fridge that together with the broccoli will make a lovely tasty soup.  There is also the option of stir fry as well.  So lots of possibilities and good eating.

Before Christmas my over 30 year old Wok gave up the ghost.  This was a present from my Aunt and I think was either purchased from Timothy Whites or Boots one of the two (now that is going back a bit and I think in reality the Wok was possibly nearer 40 years old).  So it more than earned its keep.  

I have now purchased a new one (from Lakeland they do Teflon lined ones and just the plain metal ones) which I have not yet christened.  When it comes to a Wok, I do not like Teflon lined ones; I prefer metal Woks that you season and can get up to temperature and sear the food quickly and properly.  My stir fries tend to be using up bits and bobs and also utilising store cupboard ingredients as well.  It is a good way of not wasting food and I don't follow a recipe - just use what is to hand.

From the ingredients in house and the fresh bits bought today it looks as though my Wok is going to get a bit of a christening this week, as I also bought sweet Red Italian long peppers, a cabbage, some standard broccoli and a cauliflower, (could be having a broccoli and cauliflower cheese as well) and a sweetheart cabbage all of which can be turned into stir fry; and if there are any veggies left over, can make a batch of mashed potato and then turn it into bubble and squeak.  So as I say lots of possibilities but best of all good flavoursome eating.

I am hoping that the Veg shop will have the Seville Oranges at the end of the week so that I can get into gear and get cracking on the marmalade and also Vin D'Orange and save a prepared batch of uncooked marmalade for the freezer to make up towards the end of the year.  Home made marmalade is a lovely seasonal thing as well especially on thick buttered toast (done on a Rayburn or an Aga).  In the greater scheme of things it is the simplest things that often bring the greatest pleasure and satisfaction.  We used to have the marmalade at my Nan's for breakfast (or honey from my Pop's bees) and it used to be bliss.  Would start off with a bowl of porridge and then a couple of bits of proper buttered toast and then either the marmalade or the honey.  Happy days.

I have also found in the reduced cabinet some stewing steak so will probably make a pie with that. There was only one pack.  Will make my own shortcrust pastry. There is always something you can do it is just suiting the ingredients you have with something that you would like to eat part that needs the sorting.

I am also hoping that the veg shop will have some reduced plums this week.  I can always use them bottled in syrup for puddings or indeed in turning into wine; I really need to get cracking on the wine front to get ahead for this Christmas to come.  So shall keep my eyes peeled.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I'm always so inspired when I read your posts it makes me want to get in my kitchen! Also I'm looking forward to hearing about your wine and preserve adventures love fluffy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fluffy, lovely to hear from you and glad that my posts are inspiring you to want to play. I will lead you seriously astray (or that is what my friends say) every time I come up with something! I am hoping to get some cheap oranges from the veg shop during the week to make some house style orange wine which is a starter recipe using a combination of bought orange juice and fresh orange juice. I would be happy to find either oranges or plums both are similar methods and both are lovely home made country wines. Hopefully it will be marmalade making at the end of the week too. Look after yourself and lovely to hear from you. Take care Tricia xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts