I have a book/Folder

A brand new book with plenty of new pages in. That was the plan, Then I had time to think about it and re-evaluate.  If I used a book I would be restricted on space.  I must tell everyone here and now - I hate restrictions of any kind with a vengeance.  I like to be able to expand things if I want to.  Having that little bit of wriggle room makes all the difference moreover it gives you options.  

In retrospect I thought if I changed this to a Lever Arch file this would be easily expandable, especially if the recipes, clippings etc. were contained within plastic sleeves.  This would not only keep the recipes clean, I would also get a clear visual of the recipe and be able to work from it in the kitchen.  The beauty of plastic sleeves and Index cards is that they can be re-arranged if the need arises, re-calibrated, re-Indexed if needed.  I would be able to locate them when I wanted to or re-locate under another section if required. As I have been dabbling a lot recently, I needed a place to put those regular recipes for me which is clearly defined in sections as well as the newer stuff. I was also fed up in trying to find recipes when I wanted them and not being able to find them.  

I therefore decided at an early stage that as I found recipes I wanted to have a go at, I would hand write them out and pop them into my folder. A long term way of getting organised and it would mean everything in in one place.  I prefer to type up the recipes, but feel handwritten has so much more charm - more personal as it were.

Another reason I decided to change it to a Lever Arch file with plastic sleeves is that I thought that the plastic sleeves would keep the recipes safe and clean as well so kind of "two birds with one stone" ethos,  and my cookbooks would remain intact and clean, and easier just to withdraw one folder and work from that rather than having at least a couple of books out whilst I am working which up until this point has been the state of play.

The other reason I am doing it is to preserve those family recipes and resources for the next generation as it were.  Passing on a type of family legacy information that cannot necessarily be learned out of a book.  Some of the recipes will be handwritten others typed, some of them magazine articles etc. etc.  A place though where everything is together in a central position.  

I am a happy clipper and I have been for years.  Anything that takes my fancy and which I think I will make in the future, I clip it out and pop it away into a concertina file and then every so often they are added to a folder and now to be my binder.  This is for craft and gardening as well, which is in a separate storage folder but this is the house one.  Recipe cards from Waitrose find there way here too as do handwritten recipes from friends and family.

One of the other things I want to do, especially over the next few weeks whilst I am at home is to do something a day.  It may only be a small thing, but it will be another thing off the list.  Things like making your own Bouquet Garni, your own Lavender infused honey, Lavender oil, Rosemary Honey,, Chamomile honey, drying small bunches of herbs, freezing home made herbs and home made herb butters, Lemon pepper. Making my own long-keeping mint sauce from mint I have grown.  There is so much to do and this year, or the remnants of this year I want to get lots of little additions sorted and made so that next year I can get on with things on a seasonal, month by month basis.  It is the simple things that bring the most pleasure and being able to enjoy the moment, experience and process is just as fundamental a pleasure as going for a walk or riding a bike!  I want to stop and smell the Roses and savour that which is going on around me as well as fill the pantry.  Me fine tuning my organisation systems again.

How do you store your well used or family recipes?

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. I have a hand written book of recipes that belonged to my mum and I have 2 files of recipes that I have written, typed and clipped over the years. May I ask where you found the long lived mint sauce recipe please as I have lots of mint in the garden that needs using. I love the idea of home made mint sauce through the winter. Many thanks, Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie, it is a preserve I have made for well over 25 years - I am not sure where the original recipe comes from but it works. I will pop up the recipe probably at the end of the week - unfortunately I cannot do before that due to other commitments. Pattypan x

      Delete
  2. I have big envelopes full of recipes clipped from magazines or downloaded from the internet. From the 1970s I have some hand-written notebooks of recipes. Neither get looked at that much as I have forgotten what I have there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi BB, I am trying to sort mine out so that the regular ones are easier to find and those recipes I want to try are also easily accessible What I normally do is see a recipe, think I will get back to it and then cannot find it. I thought this might help sort me out a bit, and then have the ability to go ahead and experiment. Whereas if I do not have them to hand out of sight out of mind. I can but try and see. I have loads of clippings too and I am also going through these - so I have a thorough clear out at the end of the day. Hope you are okay. Keep safe Tricia x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts