Saturday catch up

Well we have had the curry goat served with veggie rice and Naan breads.  I am not sure I like Jamaican food, or more specifically the recipe we followed.  However the Goat meat was lovely and tender with the long cooking.  It was £6 a kilo from our local market.  I am therefore going to look for another recipe or indeed play with something myself in respect of the meat. That has a lot of potential.  

It was not an unpleasant meal at all, but it is not what we know as a curry.  OH polished his off.  As I say the meat was beautifully tender with all the slow cooking.  The flavour was more lamb than lamb - a stronger version.

We finished the meal off with an apple strudel and custard, which went down a treat.

His Highness has done as he has pleased today which I think he has enjoyed in his own way. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I have been pottering around researching some bits and bobs for some projects I want to have a go at later in the season.  However I need to get my supplies and equipment and make sure that they are in place before I start.

As a result in an effort to get organised, I have been making some lists of useful bits and bobs.  In particular, I have been compiling a list of plants that I would like for this garden this year, which in turn will be used in projects and preserves throughout the year.  The lists are not complete yet, only in their infancy but I will get there.  

I have projects like making my own bouquet garni, for chicken, beef, pork and lamb from fresh ingredients and drying them in the dehydrator.  

I also want to crystallise some fresh edible flowers for use in cake decorating through the year too.  I also want to dry some edible flowers for use in cooking and also in soap and bath bomb making. as well as have a go at simple soap making, I also want to have a go at some home prepared vinegars, disinfectants, polishes and sprays and various other projects associated with the same.

There is then the matter of having another bash at making bacon and other meat preserves and also cheese making.

I am going to have my hands full, which is another reason I want to get a lot of my preserves in hand as it were so that I can fully play.  Well that is the hope in any event.   I can only do what I can do with one pair of hands.  Will see how we get on.

Right off to watch some TV.  

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Wow! Your energy is amazing - good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lefting, at the moment the energy levels are good so am trying to make the most of it whilst I can. Hope you are keeping well. Take care Tricia xx

      Delete
  2. Do you not find that you have more food stored than you can eat? When we moved we found vintage jars of jams and marmalade’s, some nearly 10 years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine, No not now. When I first started out yes. However, I have recipes that I use with different preserves. That is half the battle. It just is not stuck in a cupboard and that is that. If there is any marmalade left for instance (which is rare) it will be turned into a sauce, used in a pudding, added to a cake mix etc. I try and make stuff that we are going to use and you only find that out by trying it and finding what is right for your household. Each of us has different requirements and a different palate and a different protocol. However, you have to try things and if they are not quite working then you have to tweet or adjust them so that they work for you. The trouble is people don't always really know what to do with the preserves they do make. I started out slowly, and increased what I did year by year; something which I am still doing. I would rather buy ingredients and turn them into what I want. I have been preserving for over 40 years and personally find that it gives me much more choice and scope than relying on the supermarkets. Once you have had good quality stuff it is very difficult to relinquish it and I come from a long line of preservers. Its just I need a bigger storage facility for those items in the longer run whether that be by way of freezer, pantry, meat safe, charcuterie cave etc. Jars can always be recycled, but one of the reasons I do so much is I do not like wasting food. I also pass on items to family, extended family and friends alike.Take care Tricia x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts